Chapter 12

For days after, Maeve felt as if she was floating on a cloud. For the first time, she had kissed him. And it felt right. It felt good. She didn't know if 'love' was the right word for the connection they shared, but she was eager to find out. Only one thing really bothered her.

Wedding planning.

Somehow, the months had flown by. The wedding was only five months away, drawing closer and closer every single day. She did her best to ignore it, but as the bride, this proved to be very difficult. And as she nodded at flowers and politely approved decorations, one thought formulated in her mind.

One thousand was way too young to be getting married.

It didn't matter that her fiancée was kind to her. It didn't matter that she might be falling in love with him.

She wrote letters to Asmund asking for his advice. He always replied in short answers, not because he wanted to, but because he simply didn't have time to write longer ones.

Maeve,

I can't pretend to be some sort of expert on love. While I've courted girls, I don't think I've ever truly fallen in love. There is this girl in the healing wing in the palace, she's quite pretty and we have interesting conversations, but I am to be king one day. There's simply no way for us.

Anyway, enough of my star-crossed nonsense. I'm sure you'd love to hear it, but I don't have the time to write it. Regarding your last letter, I'd follow your heart. You're good at that. You've always tended to trust it over your head. I wish I could be like that. You're luckier than you'll ever know, my dear sister. By the way he acted during our last visit, Loki cares about you and you care about him. See what happens, and don't be afraid of anything that develops from in.

Your brother,

Asmund

Maeve treasured these correspondences like they were pieces of treasure, hiding them all in a box underneath her bed. She did worry about her brother, but she also grew curious about the girl in the healing wing. Not that anything could ever come of it. Whether he agreed with it or not, Asmund followed tradition for the sake of his father. Someday he would wed a noble lady to take as his queen and that would be that. Even so, she felt pity for him.

One day, while on his way outside to train, Thor found her crying in a side hallway. He immediately sat down on the steps next to the girl.

"Princess Maeve? What's wrong?" His voice was a bit too loud to be calming, but she still smiled.

"I'll be okay. Nothing's really wrong. I'm just so... so... overwhelmed."

"I do not blame you," he said. She wiped a few tears from her cheeks and looked up at him. "I cannot imagine how you are feeling so far away from your realm. All I can say is that you are a strong lady."

"Thank you, Thor."

"Do you have anything to do for the rest of the afternoon?" She shook her head. "Now you do. Come on."

He looped his arm around hers and pulled her down the halls. She was so short that she was forced to run in order to keep up with him. Servants turned as they heard the obnoxious laughter of the older Asgardian Prince and his younger brother's fiancée.

"Where are we going?" She asked with the biggest smile on her face.

"We're going to have fun!"

"Okay!"

"I have an idea!"

That is how the beautiful and refined the goddess of joy ended up riding on the mighty god of thunder's back around the palace all afternoon. After a few hours of this, they raided the kitchens for desserts and snuck outside for a picnic in the garden.