Chapter 13

[Zach Dempsey's POV]

"Motherfucket!" Bryce yelled as soon as he missed a swing. "You know his slider fucks with me, Dempsey! Quick calling that shit."

"It wasn't a slider, dude," I replied and threw the baseball back to the pitcher.

"You're fucking with me."

"Curve all the way," I sighed.

"Really?" he sighed as well and walked outside. "The fuck is my problem?"

"I think we both know, man," I took off my helmet.

"No, this doesn't have shit to do with her, okay?" he came back and I ignored him at first.

"My mom told me you got called to testify by the school," I said and he scoffed.

"My fucking mom--"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Didn't want it announced to your new best friend. Or your girlfriend!" he approached.

"Alex and I, we're not tight like that" I replied, "We don't talk about shit that matters. Plus, Vanessa would understand all this because low key she's still your friend. Who else knows?"

"My parents, our lawyer--"

"Hey, if you guys want to fuck each other's dicks, there's a place for that, you know?" we heard the teasing of the boys, who wanted to play.

"Nobody else needs to know, I got your back" I said and he nodded.

"Yeah. No, I know that, man. Thank you." we bumped our fists together and continue playing.

[...]

I waited for Vanessa to finish her practice sitting on the benches. You could tell how happy she was to continue with what allowed her to express herself. She would do some turns and stunts, which have encouraged me since she came to this school. She caught me looking at her and smiled at me from afar. About ten minutes later she arrived with her suitcase and gave me a tender kiss on the lips.

"Did you stay for me?" she asked and sat next to me.

"Of course, I told you that I would protect you" I let go and put my arm around her shoulder,"How's the comeback?

"Not that bad for not knowing what was going on," she laughed, "How was baseball?"

"Not that bad for been doing the same damn thing," I replied and we laughed together.

"Are we going to your house or will you leave me at mine?" she asked.

"No, let's hang out here."

"What will we do?"

"A challenge" I grabbed her hand and led her to the baseball field. "Let's run a bit."

"Run?" she complained, "Are you serious? I haven't run that much--"

"Come on, it'll be fun!" I encouraged her and started jogging. She chased me until she caught up with me.

"You're evil," she gasped, but insisted on running, "You take advantage of the fact that I'm very competitive."

She started to accelerate. I started giggling like a fool and started catching up with her. I grabbed her around the waist and lifted her into the air.

"Zach!" she started to laugh out loud.

"This race means how much I love you for being in my life," I slowed down my steps and turned to his direction.