Chapter 16

"Chaos' payment"

[Author's POV]

"Olivia, I just don't think we should call him." Dennis said, "I mean, Sonya will tear him apart."

"They must know everything about the kid, right?" Andy asked, "And we don't."

"Lainie did rescue herself, but that's--"

"Somehow, I'm not concerned about a mother knowing her son's secrets." Olivia interrupted and got herself a seat, "That tends not to be the case these days, it seems, with mothers."

"Liv." Andy called her.

"Our daughter... I mean, she... becomes a woman, and we missed it? And Vanessa got herself in a toxic relationship and we didn't even notice? I don't get it, but I don't think I wanna--"

"But is this the right response? We put another kid on the stand and hope for the best?"

"There's a reason why we kept him off the list and try the better shot with Vanessa." Dennis clarified.

"Clay was devastated when Hannah died, okay? He was in love with her. He thought she was perfect. The jury needs to hear that."

"All right, we'll have to prep him tonight."

"Go ahead and fill out the paperwork. I'll talk to him first."

[...]

[Vanessa Baker's POV]

"I don't know, Tatiana." I sighed, trying to focus on the little chat I was having with my friend.

"How come you don't know?" She asked.

"That lawyer messed with my mind and turned every single one of my words to clown shit."

"And what did your lawyer say?"

"Nothing."

"How about that shitty school you go to?"

"I need to hand over the real papers later, maybe tomorrow."

"And what about M.S.A?"

At this point, I knew I fucked up everything. I acknowledged the fact that I might never belong in Liberty High. At this point, did I ever belong there? I don't have the strength to face reality. Plus, my parents don't have enough money to invest in sending me back to Europe.

"I don't know." I finally answered.

"You don't know? Why?"

"I wanna go back to Moldova but--"

"There are no but's!" Tatiana screamed, with her thick accent and demanding voice. Thank God I was in my phone and not in front of her.

"Of course there are!" I argued.

"Tell me one reasonable reason why you would want to stay in that shithole."

Zach Dempsey. Clay Jensen. Jessica Davis. Alex Standall...

"Nothing, forget it." I sighed, "I gotta go, Tati. My mom's done with her meeting."

"I'll talk to Mrs. Monteanu, then. See you soon." She hung up and I sighed again.

I needed I timeout. I have to get away and grab some coffee, then go to school. Take a deep breath, meditate, and hopefully come out clean. This is way out of hand. 

"Mom!" I screamed while opening the door and walking down the stairs.

"Yes, honey?" She asked.

"I'm going out to Monet's and come back real quick."