Chapter 5

"The cheerleader girl and the basket guy"

[A few weeks later]

[Vanessa Baker's POV]

I've been chatting alone with Zach for a week, who has been the guardian who never was with Hannah. I am deducing that he wants to do with me what he did not do with her. He wants to protect me from everyone, from harassment, from Bryce Walker. He invited me to one of the parties at the house of the aforementioned, in two weeks, although they have not missed the times when they have already invited me to hang out playing poker or drinking. He always gave me a trip home, even if I didn't accept it. At least I was leaving a street in my home to keep it quiet.

To be updated, I entered to the wolf's mouth. I joined the cheerleading team, with Jessica and Sheri on my side, in order to make me more friends with them. We have gone shopping together, exercising and practicing all the time. My social circle was basically bigger as soon as I became more friends with those named on the tapes, but that is not the case. No one suspects anything.

I saw Clay go by according to what Jessica was talking about how fat Melanie Opstad was, which made me uncomfortable. I looked at them with a kind of contained rage, but seeing me changed drastically to one of grief. I didn't understand why, but hey. They're frantic.

"What has you so distracted, Ness? ", Zach released me as I returned to my five senses.

"Nothing, I'm just curious about why Clay Jensen always looks at us with hate", I looked at him and pointed to the boy. Zach looked at everyone and just cleared his throat.

"It's weird, I already told you", he grabbed me by the shoulders. And it was a lie.

"Oh, come on!", Bryce exclaimed, "The cheerleading girl and the basketball guy, the perfect mix. When will they be a couple?"

"Oh my God, Walker", I buffed,  "I think it will never happen. I do not think so."

"We have known each other for a few weeks, Bryce. It's impossible", argued Dempsey.

"They would look together as a couple, but also Bryce with Nessa ...", Sheri released and almost puked.

"Okay, just to emphasize that Europe is closer to Asia than what's going to be in America in a million years", I pointed at Zach, and then make circles in front of Bryce. Everyone burst out laughing.

"That was the best I've been able to hear in all this semester!", Jess exclaimed looking up at the sky and settling into his post. Then he took out a purple jar and showed it proudly, "Do you guys sign up to lift your spirits?"

"Oh, for God's sake, Jessica", I released with my mouth open, "Is it--?"

"This?", she tried to point out but Justin snatched it out of his hands. He smelled its contents and looked at her confused.

"Is it vodka?", he said seriously, "Since when do you drink at school?"

"Hey, and since when do you refuse a drink?", Walker hit him and took the bottle. He wanted to give me, but I denied with the excuse of having a math test. He did the same with Zach but had the same strategy as me.

"Well, I have to go copy the Spanish homework before the bell rings", Jessica released, "Bye, Bye losers."

"See you later!", I skated to my locker. At one point to another, I had removed one of the skates when I feel someone grabbed my ass. I jumped at once and saw that it was nothing more and nothing less than Bryce Walker.

Why did I expect it to be someone else?

"Hello again, beauty", he tried to flirt with me. Gross.