Chapter 18

"I love you"

[Vanessa Baker's POV]

I woke up again in the same place where I was, but this time I no longer had cables connected around me or the typical large standard hospital clothing. She had shorts, long stockings and a blue blouse with a white dot pattern. I was able to get up more easily and my body didn't hurt as much anymore. I saw Mom sitting on the couch, using her cell phone while drinking water from a small glass.

"How long did I sleep?" I asked him.

"Enough to be able to go to court, to get you clothes and come back," he replied.

"Can we go home?"

"Well, yes, but I was waiting for you to wake up. Your dad went to fetch the crutches we bought."

"What for?" I looked everywhere, until I saw my left foot, "Oh ..."

"You have to wear that for three weeks or more, it was a slight sprain but still. And from experience it is not very comfortable to walk with it."

"And the cheerleaders? Will I not be able to practice?"

"Not for now, and for what? I was planning to move out of here. Somewhere a long way from here."

"What?!" I exclaimed, "Not yet, mom. Don't you think the trial is a long way off?"

"Don't worry, there is still nothing concrete with it. I just wanted to tell you before."

"As crazy as this sounds, I don't want to go."

"What? How?"

"I wouldn't be able to leave Jessica or Alex when they're screwed, Mom."

"What about Zach?" She asked.

"I don't know yet, Mom."

"Well, we'll talk about it later."

Dad came with some gray crutches that suited my size well. He handed them to me and I tried to get down from my rest gently, but I failed and almost fell. At least this thing had a grip.

"Ready?" Dad asked with a big smile.

"Of course, you know I hate hospitals," I laughed.

[...]

The ride home was pretty smooth. Mom sat with me while Dad drove the car home, where I saw Zach's black Audi. The boy was outside of him, leaning against the hood like he was an old-fashioned movie. Part of his hair was blowing in the breeze. 

Nobody warned me that getting out of a car on crutches was going to be so difficult. I had to give my mother the support I had to do a 90 degree turn and try to support myself on my good leg, but I still couldn't. Well, until my guardian angel came to the rescue.

"Need a leg?" He joked.

"How about some arms?", I stretched mine in the form of a hug, in which he lifts me up like a sack of potatoes. That became customary.

"You're heavier," he carefully lowered me onto the sidewalk.

"And you are stronger," I answered and he was silent. "Look, all this took an unexpected turn, but thank you for coming."

"It's nothing." He gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Wait a minute, aren't you angry?" I asked in amazement.

"Why should I? For the lies or anything else?"

"The first one..."

"Vanessa, you weren't supposed to tell me even if you wanted to. Although that day I realized that you were giving me clues."