66: Taking Precautions

*** Ash's POV ***

Shit. She wants to know what the Detective told me. Should I tell her everything? Should I just tell her the need to know bits? Should I ask her to wait?

"Reese, I will tell you everything, but I want us to enjoy the rest of our time here unburdened by anything going on at home." I try.

"But you know something and it's already weighing on you. We're already burdened so tell me please. Together remember?" She uses my words against me.

I sigh. I tell her everything. I know it's what she wants, but I feel like I'm watching her become a bundle of nerves right before my very eyes.

She shakes her head. "I can't go to California."

"It may be the only way Antonio stays locked up. Plus, you'll be out of harm's way." I feel weird urging her to do this.

"And basically kept under lock and key for God knows how long. And what about Luis? We need to tell Lila." She insists.

"We can't. I'm not even supposed to know." I tell her.

"Luis could be in danger, Ash." She pops her hands on her hips.

"I'm sorry, Reese. Maybe you could just ask if she's heard from him?" I suggest.

"I can't believe Carlos...Santiago... whatever the hell his name is...that he's so dangerous. He seemed so normal." I watch as she wraps her arms around herself and shrinks. I am struck by the sight. I feel like I'm losing her as she retreats into her thoughts.

"Reese, I'll walk away from the brewery. Transfer it to Mick and we can go. California or somewhere else, anywhere else." I blurt out.

"I can't let you do that, Ash. It's very sweet." She refuses.

"I just don't want anything to happen to you. I love you more than anything. I can start over, but I can never replace you." I tell her.

"I love you too. Now I promised that if you told me I'd try to relax for the remainder of the trip. I think we need to get going on that promise." She's giving it a valiant effort, but I know my girl. I can tell her smile is empty and her eyes are clouded with worry. I kick myself for divulging everything.

*** Nathan's POV ***

"So how does Maui compare to Holualoa?" I ask my sunglassed-beauty.

Lila looks out over the view from where we are seated for breakfast. "Honestly?"

I chuckle. "Yes, love."

"Holualoa hands down. This is beautiful and all, but it feels like a resort. Holualoa was genuine and homey." She describes it and I can't deny the allure.

"Then we'll go back tomorrow." I put my arm around her and she settles against me with a sigh. We had a quiet evening in, making love while listening to the waves crash in the distance.

No matter how many times I lay with her, I am in awe of how she makes me feel. I never experienced anything like it before I met her. It's like she's the key that fits my heart. I know I'm corny, but it's this woman.

"I'm looking forward to our spa day together. What did you book us?" She asks.

"Well I was asked if there was a chance you could be pregnant so I had to scale back some." I say.

Lila rolls her beautiful brown eyes. "Haha, wishful thinking. I'm not pregnant."

I ignore her. There's always a possibility, right? "So we're doing couples' massages and mani/pedis. You girls can have a facial or body mask too."