9: Stop Trying to Run

*** Ash's POV ***

I find her dancing with some random dude who looks afraid to touch her. "Mind if I cut in here?"

He drops her without a word. She looks at me with amusement in her eyes as I take hold of her like she deserves to be held, close and securely against my frame. She cracks some joke about getting tats to up her game, but then she does the last thing I expect.

She calls me by my first name.

Maybe it was the heightened emotion of the evening. Maybe it was that I haven't heard anyone utter my real name so intimately. Maybe it was the fact that I hadn't been laid in over a month. In that moment, my desire for her is carnal and I can't stop the flow of need as I grab her gruffly and finally take those lips that I've been craving since I met her.

I know I am greedy stealing a kiss so I don't want to push my luck by deepening it without her consent. When I pull away from her, she whimpers quietly. I tilt her head back gently by lifting her chin. She flutters her eyes open. She is breathless and flushed.

"Normally I would have asked permission, but..." I start to lay the ground work for an apology.

"Don't you dare apologize for what just happened." She says and tucks herself against my body without another word.

I hold her close, my head next to hers, as we sway to the music. She fits perfectly into my arms and after what happened the last time I saw her, I am just grateful for this moment. I inhale her hair and grip her tightly.

"I have a lot more I need to say to you." I speak, my voice low to not draw anyone else's attention.

"And me to you, but can we just enjoy this moment?" She begs me off.

"Yes, ma'am."

We dance. The music changes and I refuse to let her go. She laughs in my ear and I feel goose bumps along my neck, excited by her. We stay like that for I don't know how long.

"Will you come back with me so we can talk?" I eventually break our silence.

"Can we go to mine?" She asks, taking a a half-step back so she can look up at me.

"Wherever you feel most comfortable." I follow her back to her table. She collects her belongings.

Gini looks at us with curiosity, blinking big blue eyes. "Headed out?"

It's obvious we are, but Reese entertains the girl's inquiry. "Yes, Gini. Don't wait up, okay?"

She winks at the girl and turns to me. "Your turn."

I look her up and down. "I'm pretty sure I have all I need."

She giggles and blushes. "As I recall you were awarded a plaque..."

"Oh! Yeah. Right." I could care less about the ten dollar plaque. I want nothing more than to spend time with her.

"Is this what you're looking for?" FUCK! Della walks up with my plaque in hand. She looks at it proudly and then passes it to me, refusing to let go. "I stopped by to congratulate you, Ash. It's a real accomplishment for us."

Of course she's trying to meddle. "Your grandfather bankrolled a portion of the start-up costs. I am grateful for that. I've since offered to pay you back. You refused. Everything after that donation your family made has not involved you." I make sure Reese hears the truth.

"Well don't be so quick to write me out of the story." She scoffs.

"You should have thought of that before you made him choose." Reese interjects.