46: She's Gone

***Trigger warning: This chapter is emotionally heavy. Take care of yourself.***

*** Mick's POV ***

I'm leaving the brewery with a beautiful woman in my passenger seat. I keep glancing over at her.

"Eyes on the road, big boy." She advises authoritatively. But as she says it she reaches over and takes my hand. The smoothness of her skin, the way her fingers move over the back of my hand, the way the streetlights illuminate her face.

"You're making it really hard." I mutter.

"We're still talking about you keeping your eyes on the road and not your dick, right?" She jokes.

"Eh..." She shoves my shoulder and smiles at me. I shrug and lick my lips.

"Now who's making it hard?" She shifts in her seat. I can see her nipples are erect through her gauzy dress despite the fact that she wears a bra. It makes me wonder...

"Almost there." I say, assuring her as much as myself.

"You're taking me to yours? Is it safe?" She inquires.

"Safe?" I'm confused.

"Clean. Free of all remnants of your last fling?" She clarifies.

I get all high and mighty. "I'll have you know I was actually seeing someone for a couple of weeks. I was serious about her."

Stef frowns. "That's new. What happened?"

"She didn't like me being a dad." I say honestly.

"You hid it from her?" Stef asks.

I'm a bit offended. "Of course not. I'm a proud papa. She thought Trish was using me when she granted me a weekly overnight with Reilly. She didn't like that it was on my day off which would eat into her time."

We pull into my driveway. She leans into me, stroking her hand along my arm. I turn my head and look into her eyes. She so close I can smell her sweet and musky scent. She speaks softly. "If she can't accept your role as a father, she doesn't deserve you."

I sigh. I want to do this right with Stef. "I need to be honest with you. We literally broke up a couple days ago. I don't want you thinking you're a rebound."

Stef shrugs. "So what if I am, Mick? I can help you move on."

She runs her hand up along my bearded cheek and leans her breasts against me. As much as I want to take her right in that moment, something stops me. "No. I don't want a rebound and I already told you, no flings. I'm not asking for an all out committment, just a serious chance at something more long-term."

She looks thoughtful. "I told you earlier Mick, I'm in. I wouldn't have left my VW baby for anyone."

I wonder..."Are you telling me there was nothing wrong with your car?"

"Not this time." She confesses. I grip her face in my hands and kiss her deeply. She returns the kiss with fervor. We're getting into it, my hands twisted in her soft hair when my phone rings.

"What the...?" I bitch.

My "do not disurb" setting is on. My phone shouldn't be ringing. Unless...oh shit.

"I need to take this. I'm so sorry." I apologize.

"No worries." She settles back in her seat, but keeps my one hand inbetween hers. It's like she knows I may need her in that moment.

I answer the phone. "Trish, what's going on? Is Reilly okay?"

"Mr. Nichols. My name is Dr. Fitzroy. We need you to come to the hospital right away." An unfamiliar voice instructs me.