8: Aspiring Young Professional

"Devon Ashley Lewis is described in his nomination as entrepreneurial, innovative, and committed to his craft. In the year since his brewery launched, No Regrets has earned three gold medals in national championships, a silver in state, and an honorable mention in international competition."

I can't believe my ears. They must be just reviewing all the nominees for this prize. I mean the event is so goddamn long it's completely possible.

"But No Regrets is not only known for its award-winning beer. Lewis, known by his friends and colleagues as Ash, is also committed to the community, raising over 25K for local charities in the last year alone. Please come accept your award for Aspiring Young Professional of the Year, Mr. Lewis."

Reese's coworker squeals excitedly. "Um, Ash? Go!"

I snap out of it and make my way on stage. Cameras are snapping, people are clapping. It's disorienting. I shake hands with someone who looks important who then gestures to the microphone.

"No that's okay. Thank you, though." I try to defer.

"Speech!" I hear Mick bellow from the crowd. Others encourage me too, following his lead. Why did that asshat open his mouth?

I step up to the microphone, clutching the plaque that was handed to me. Another camera goes off and once my eyes adjust from the flash, I see those liquid amber eyes peak over the camera at me. I can't help but smile as she mouths the word congratulations.

But then I see the scowling couple seated with her - Della and Jordan. Della looks downright pissed. I smile smugly at her.

"I would like to thank everyone who made this brewery and what we represent a reality. I am only one person who dared to dream and tinker and work hard. But it's the people who support and challenge me daily that really deserve this award. Please continue to support all the local businesses and find your own ways to give back to the community either through them or directly. Thank you."

The crowd applauds again and I make my way through the crowd and back to my table. I take a detour to pass by Reese who looks proud, but cautious as I come closer. As I pass by, I don't give two fucks who else hears. "You owe me a dance tonight, Reese."

"Yes, sir." She replies demurely. I look back over my shoulder at her and wink. When I get to the table, Mick lets out a loud battle cry and hugs me tight. It disrupts the introduction for the next award and draws the attention of the room.

"Thanks, Mick, but seriously they're going to revoke it if we're not on best behavior." I joke with a laugh.

"I'm pretty sure that isn't how this works. Hello, Ash." I look up at a weathered face that I wasn't expecting to see.

"Dom?!" Well screw not making a scene now! I hug my old mentor, friend, and the man responsible for setting this course in my life. He gestures to me and Mick to come with him and we step away from the event.

The three of us walk along a lighted path, catching up. Dominic moved with his wife from the island about five years ago. She had family in Southern California she wanted to be closer to due to their age and Dom wanted her to be happy. With few reservations, he picked up and left the only home he had known.

"I'm so proud of the work that you have accomplished, Ash." He says gripping my shoulder and making me blush under his pride.

"You asshat, Mick! You should have told me you called Dom to let him know about this." I redirect my emotion so as not to get misty-eyed.

"If I had known calling him was going to perk your sorry ass up, I totally would have went for it. But I didn't call him." Mick jabs back.

"Who do you think nominated you, son? I've been following your success even if I don't call or write as much as I should." Dominic confides.