3: Reese - Starved for Friendship

*** Reese's POV ***

Gini's red curls frame her mischievous blue eyes as she glances over my shoulder when I join them to leave. "That bartender has eyes for you, girl."

"Huh?" I realize she's talking about Ash. "Oh, that's the owner. He seems like a really nice guy. Committed to his craft."

Jordan pushes his jaw-length hair back off his forehead and asks curiously. "What makes you think he's into Reese's here, Gini?"

I roll my eyes. I have repeatedly asked that he not call me Reese's Cups, after the famous candy. I thought that maybe after a week of work, he would have taken my advise. Jordan is such an ass. Hot, but an ass.

We all work together for a philanthropic marketing firm. Some mystery donor from somewhere in Europe provides the funding and our job is to find deserving organizations and programs to support. I moved here from my corporate marketing gig in Cali, specifically to work on a project that is sort of like Make-a-Wish but for older adults. Jordan, Carlos, and Gini are my coworkers.

Gini gives her take on my interactions with Ash. "Well he spent a lot of time chatting her up, gave her that sneak peek special sample, and could barely keep his eyes off her, even when that Glamazon woman was in here yelling at him."

Carlos shakes his head. "How do you know all that? We were sitting across the room."

Gini sits up proudly. "I'm very perceptive. So did he ask for your number?"

I find myself disappointed as I shake my head. I know I put up a front of being unattainable, but he really did seem interested. But then there was that whole weird exchange about him not having time.

It's probably for the better, but damn it felt good to talk to someone who I don't work with. In the past month I learned that relocating as an adult is hard when you don't know anyone where you are moving to. I moved because I needed to out some distance between me and California. I was ready for a change. I just didn't expect it to be so lonely.

Gini co-ruminates. "Damn girl, I'm sorry, but I know what I saw."

"I'd ask you for your number to make you feel better, but I already have it." Jordan says smugly.

"And I'm pretty sure if you used it to dial in a booty call, you'd have an HR violation on your hands." Carlos warns him. Everyone laughs.

Gini and Carlos are really great colleagues, down-to-earth and helpful. Jordan is the only one who comes on strong, but it's just his personality and the fact that he's trying hard to make me notice him.

Ironically enough, we end up at a pizza place. We are talking about whether we'll share or get our own. Jordan puts his arm around the back of my chair and leans in close. I lean away realizing how close his face is.

"Do I have bad breath or something?" He jokes, his breath fresh likely from the mint he recently popped.

"You're just all up in my personal space." I inform him with an involuntary shiver.

"Come on Reese's, give me a chance. I'm just trying to help you relax and settle in here." His fingers rub my bare arm as he talks. It's not altogether unpleasant, but he's definitely pushing the boundaries.

"I am relaxed. You don't have to try so hard, you know? Like dial it back a couple notches and maybe let me get to know you a bit more." I suggest.

Jordan seems surprised. "I can do that."

"And stop calling me Reese's!" I repeat again.

Jordan chuckles and drops his eyes, looking up at me through his thick eyelashes. "You really don't like nicknames, do you?"