25: Game On

*** Ash's POV ***

We hammer out some details before Della leaves. She goes to give me a hug and then stops herself and extends a hand instead. "Sorry, old habits."

I shake her hand. I'm still cautious because I don't fully trust her, but what she doesn't know is that Reese recorded the whole conversation. She's not getting out of this one. She looks over at Reese playing with Lupa on the floor in the living room.

She surprises me with her next words. "Do yourself a favor and don't let your work ruin your relationship with her too. Oh, and Ash?"

"Yes, Della?"

"Don't get her knocked up." I roll my eyes. She smiles and leaves.

I walk over and plop down on the couch. Reese turns and looks up. "Well in comparison to the circus that has been the last few days that couldn't have gone any better."

"I know. I'm a little hesitant to celebrate. Anyway, let's see if can continue smoothing things over and head to the police station." I suggest.

"Oh that. I almost forgot about that." She looks and sounds solemn. I stand up and offer her both my hands to help her up. She stands, but won't look at me.

"Reese." Her head snaps up. I reassure her. "It's going to be okay."

"It's just that I've worked so hard to get away from this part of my life, I'm afraid of what happens next." She chews nervously on her lip.

"Well whatever it is, we do it together, right?" I need to make sure she knows I'm sticking with her through this.

"Uh huh. I'm going to call Mr. Gerber on the way over and update him on what's going on. If I have time, I'll call Gini too." Reese focuses on logistics.

Mr. Gerber is more than understanding. He even offers to put her up in a hotel until everything is handled.

"Thank you for the generous offer, but my boyfriend is taking good care of me." It sounds foreign to hear her say it aloud, but when I lift her hand to kiss her fingers it doesn't feel foreign. It feels perfect.

"Sounds like a good man. Reese, you take whatever time you need, okay?" I hear him say.

"Thank you, sir." They hang up. She doesn't have time to call Gini because we've just pulled into the police station. I squeeze her hand.

"I'm right here, babe." I reiterate. "Let's see if we can give them something they can work with at the very least."

We meet with Detective Sampson and Agent Alba. Agent Alba specializes in gang-related activity. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how my sweet Reese got herself caught up with a gang, but I know I'm about to find out. I also know I need to keep my cool and be supportive of her. I don't want to drive her away by letting my emotions get the better of me.

Detective Sampson is a lean late 30-something fella. Serious and formal in a suit despite the warm island weather. "Thank you for coming here to meet with us. We wanted to fill you in on what we know and see if there is anything additional you may know to help us locate your attacker."

Agent Alba seems more laid back..she wears a button-down, but no coat and her sleeves are rolled up. Her brown hair has been pulled back in a hasty bun.

She describes the suspect. "His name is Sigmund Bauer, AKA Siggy, AKA Deca. He is part of a notorious motorcycle club known as the Galloping Fire. They make their fortune in trafficking very specific products - drugs and guns - up the coastline. Which is why we were surprised to see one of their members show up here on the island."