35: Now or Never

*** Reese's POV ***

And just like that the two men who I never cared to see again walk into the private dining area, making it feel instantly smaller. I notice at least one goon, probably more, stationed near the entrance to the room.

Antonio DeMarco looks at me with a half-cocked grin. "Hello, Reese. It's been awhile, hasn't it?"

Not one to show that I'm intimidated, I push my shoulders back and reply. "Yep. Last time I saw you, you beat me so badly I barely made it out alive. Forgive me if I'm not in a hurry to show my affection."

I hear Ash's breathing change. He says under his breath. "Damn it, Reese. Don't provoke him."

But I know Antonio. He laughs. The bastard laughs! "Surely that's not how we left things?"

Luis rolls his eyes and pushes past his father. He extends a hand out to Ash who does not hesitate to take it. They shake hands and seem to size each other up. Luis is both taller and bulkier than Ash.

"You must be the boyfriend. My name is Luis DeMarco. I'm...I'm Reese's ex." Luis says uncomfortably.

"I'm Devon Lewis. I am her boyfriend." Ash confirms, using his formal name.

"But you go by some cute little nickname, don't you, Devon? What is that?" True Antonio, letting us know that even though he came to us that he holds the power in the room.

Ash takes it in stride. "My friends call me Ash. You may call me Devon."

"Well Devon, my name is Antonio DeMarco and we'll see how things go. My son tells me that we all are walking out of here as friends, but that remains to be seen. Please sit. Let's eat before we talk business." Antonio gestures to the table and we sit.

I am nervous to see a fifth place-sitting. This isn't a mistake. Antonio wouldn't allow it.

"Dad, are we expecting someone else here?" I'm caught off guard that Lu doesn't even seem to know what Antonio has planned. My eyes flick to meet Ash's and I can see he wears the same look of concern.

Antonio smirks watching the three of us squirm. "I'd rather be prepared if someone decides to join us than needing to rearrange everything once we've begun our meals."

We all quiet as we look over our menus. I keep feeling eyes on me. I glance at Ash. He is fixated on the menu. I sneak a peek at Antonio. He has already moved on to the wine list. Neither look up. I move my eyes over and up to see Lu staring at me.

He leans over, using the back of my chair to support himself. His breath is hot on my skin. "You always looked amazing in red."

"Thank you." I reply. His hand lightly grazes my arm as he pulls back. I feel my face reddening and look up to see Ash shift uncomfortably in his seat. Please baby, don't for a second think I'm interested in Lu anymore, I try to convey telekinetically. As Ash glances back over I plead with my eyes for him to trust that.

Antonio snaps his attention away. "Ash, are you a red wine drinker?"

"Truth be told, sir. I much prefer beer and liquor." Ash admits.

"Ah, me too. Good man. So tell me more about how you got into your business." Antonio says like we're acquaintances getting to know each other.

"Really? We're doing this? Why do you care, Antonio? Spare us the games." I say.

"Reese, knock it off!" His tone is sharp and unusual for him. I stare at him gap-mouthed as he turns his attention back to Antonio and proceeds to tell him his backstory.