Ch. 25 - Date Night

Start from the beginning

It was a nice restaurant. The kind of place you should usually have a reservation before coming into. But apparently Yoongi's wallet or his name made a big exception.

You sat down and immediately wanted to leave. The tension already felt suffocating. Much worse than when you went out with Jin and Ailee before. You weren't sure what else you were expecting from this spontaneous outing but you weren't going to let it run the evening.

So the minute the waiter left you alone, you raised an eyebrow at Yoongi.

"What are you doing?" you asked.

"Jimin told me that I didn't deserve you the other night. And...he's right. So we're here to start over and clear the air on some things."

He took a deep breath. "First. I'm sorry for not spending any time with you recently outside of work. I've been working on my music."

"Well, you're sending songs to an agent."

"I already sent them. And they got rejected."

"W-what? All of them?" you exclaimed.

Yoongi chuckled dryly. "All of them," he confirmed. "I'm redoing them as fast as I can but it's slow going. So I've been neglecting responsibilities at work unless they're mandatory. And I guess I apologize for that too."

"Don't worry about that. Namjoon's been going to meetings for me and taking notes. If there's anything you missed, I'm sure you can get it from him."

"Taking notes for you? Where have you been?"

"The head of the sales department came back from vacation a few weeks ago. He's been catching up on all the new campaigns and trying to figure out what we can improve on." You shrugged. "He thinks factoring in the information from customer service will give us a competitive edge. It's not a bad idea, really. He's just persistent."

Yoongi nodded slowly. "I know sales and marketing haven't been doing well since I started running things. If you want me to meet with some of the heads, let me know. Which brings me to my second point. Can you let me handle some of the big meetings and projects?"

"You...want to handle them?"

"I have to step up sometime. Might as well be now. I can't let you carry my butt all the time, after all."

You nodded thoughtfully. "Okay. I'll let you know. But please come to me with any questions before you do something."

The food was delivered not long after that. You continued to talk throughout the meal, clearing the air over several other topics as well while you were at it.

"If I'd known Jimin was that important to you, I wouldn't have--"

"Don't worry about it. He means well, but he's been known to push other people's buttons. You're probably not the first to hit him." You took a drink. "Did your parents even notice we were gone?"

"I doubt it. I paid them before we got there, so they didn't have a reason to look for us."

"What was the charity for again?"

"It's not really charity. They're donating money to the city to build a park in their honor."

You paused mid-bite. "Where would they--?"

"That's the city's problem to figure out," he replied with a shrug. "Trust me, I wasted an hour arguing about it with them. Sometimes it's better to just agree with them and save your energy."

"You think Tae's going to become a client?"

"He seemed interested when I talked to him. He said the next time he came back from a shoot, we would get together and discuss it more."

"Of course he did. Damn flirt."

It wasn't long before you'd finished your meal. 

Yoongi gave his card to the waiter. "And we'll take care of Mr. Kim's bill as well." The waiter bowed slightly and left.

Jin had already gone back to the car to try and ease his full stomach before driving home. You didn't blame him; you were probably going to fall asleep as soon as you got back.

"Thank you. This was nice."

"It's the least I can do. So...think we can try to start over as friends?"

You smiled. "Sure. Friends."

When you finally made it back home, you climbed into bed with Yoongi following close behind you.

"You know, friends wouldn't normally cuddle up like this."

He sighed. "Well, we're doing everything else out of order, at least we're consistent."

You laughed at that, pulling the covers closer around yourself. "And speaking of order, since you offered to be friends, you'd better not start having feelings for me." He scoffed.

"I believe that was what I told you weeks ago. So don't worry about me."

"Good. Can't be distracted if you want to take on all this extra responsibility."

"Don't get too excited. I've got a ways to go."

"You'll get there," you mumbled through a yawn. "I'm sure of it."

Yoongi smiled softly. Maybe being friends was what he needed too.