Ch. 3 - Family Discussions

Yoongi sighed as he felt his phone vibrate across the desk. Why couldn't anyone ever leave him alone while he was working?

He pulled his headphones off and paused what he was doing to answer. It was his dad. If he didn't answer now, they might send the police to check on him. He clicked accept.

"Yes, what is it?"

"Yoongi," his father answered. "I hope you aren't using that tone with your lovely new wife."

"I'm kind of busy here--"

"I wanted to make sure you got to the house okay. You were supposed to call us last night, remember?"

"We're fine. We just got here late. Jin was driving slowly since it was dark out."

"Glad you made it safe, then. Did we get you enough food to last you the whole trip?"

"Seems like it."

"Good, good. And I hope you're making time to study those materials we gathered for you. Everything will be on your shoulders when you get back."

Yoongi rolled his eyes, glancing at the large stack of binders in question, still piled neatly in his bag. "Of course." 

They were from your father, a comprehensive list of suppliers, services, clients that they dealt with frequently, projections for the success of the company for the next several months, and so on. 

"That's what I want to hear." His father chuckled. "You'll be catching up with your cousin in no time. Talk soon."

The moment that call was over, the phone lit up again. Yoongi groaned and answered that too.

"What?"

"Min Yoongi!" Jin's voice erupted through the speaker. "What do you think you're doing?! You've been married less than a day and you're already running your new wife out of the house?"

Huh. So you'd actually left after all.

"I gave her the option. She chose to leave," he mumbled.

Jin sighed heavily. "Kids these days. No respect, I swear. You're married now, you should at least act like it."

"I will politely remind you that this was not my idea."

"I never would have guessed," he replied. "That doesn't mean you should treat her so coldly. I nearly had a heart attack when she threw open my door and told me to drive her somewhere. Didn't care where as long as it was away from you."

Yoongi rolled his eyes and went to the kitchen to make more coffee. "I don't have time to deal with this right now. I'm trying to work."

"You won't be doing anything if you don't make this marriage work."

That got his friend's attention. "Cut me some slack, okay? I've already got my old man breathing down my neck. I don't know what I'm doing...on any level of this."

"Well, you've got time to work it out. But you have to try. This week might be a good time to start."

"This week?" he repeated.

"Taehyung will be stopping by soon, you know that. Hoseok too."

Yoongi chuckled dryly. "Should've known. I can't ever catch a break, can I?"

"Don't act like you're the only victim here," Jin grumbled. "I'm the one that's going to have to make twice as many trips everywhere if you two can't learn to get along."

"Yes, we made it safely," you told your mother as you wandered around the shop. 

"Are you getting out into town? It'd be nice to see the sights while you're there."

"Oh, I'm out right now. It's great. Very secluded," you said pointedly.

"Just you? Yoongi isn't with you?"

You gritted your teeth. "Yoongi was busy working when I left. Probably trying to figure out how the company works since he hasn't been helping out for years already."

"Well, that's nice." You rolled your eyes. "The two of you should be together for sight-seeing, though, don't you think, dear?"

"I'm not really sight-seeing. Just picking up some souvenirs while I have a chance."

"You two should be spending alone time together now," your father's voice chimed in to answer your mother's previous question. "Won't get much of that after the honeymoon's over."

You grunted in response, picking out a couple of small keychains and postcards to send out later to your wedding party. Whenever you got around to it. You turned to make your way to the counter.

"...send us lots of pictures and we'll see you at the shareholder's meeting coming up."

"What did you say?" you asked. 

"Honestly, sweetheart. We told you about this. We're going to host a shareholder's meeting after you get back. We need to make sure all our investors know that they're in good hands with this new change."

"You could have let me--"

Your father's voice cut in again. "No, no. You have enough to do. You just show up and bring your charming new husband and we'll take care of everything else."

Great. That was definitely a way to make sure that Yoongi was picking up enough about the goings-on to hold a conversation with the shareholders. That was going to be a shit show, you could already tell.

"Right. Well, I'll look forward to that then," you said as you finally placed your stuff on the counter for the sales clerk. "Talk to you later."

And before they could come up with anything else to say, you swiftly hung up before shoving your phone back in your pocket.

"Will this be all for you?" the clerk asked.

"Yes, thank you."

The minute you got outside, you saw Jin's car parked across the street. Had he been there the whole time?

"Were you waiting long?" you asked as you got into the car.

Jin glanced at you from the front seat. 

"Not at all," he told you. "And waiting's my job anyway. I'm more than used to it, trust me. Was there anywhere else you wanted to go?"

You shook your head. "No, I think we should head back. If I spend too long away from Yoongi, I'm sure my parents will get wind of it somehow."

And with that destination in mind, Jin put the car in gear and started driving back towards the vacation home.

"Did you find something nice?"

You glanced up at Jin's question. You'd assumed he'd put the divider back up.

"Oh, just a few little things. Keychains and postcards to give my friends when we get back." You saw him smile through the rearview mirror.

"That's great! I think the Mins are going to be sending out gift baskets or something for everyone in the wedding party, but it'd be nice to have something more personal."

"Thank you. And thanks for driving me, Seokjin. I appreciate it."

He chuckled. "Only my father calls me that. Please, call me Jin. That's what everyone else in the family does."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. You're family now, aren't you? Might as well get used to it."

"Might as well," you echoed. The way things were going, you weren't going to find your way out anytime soon. You'd have to suck it up for now.