Chapter 17 - Her Previous Life (MATURE)

Start from the beginning

"Janice called me that night and told me they had been having an affair for over 3 years and he had told her he was going to leave me for her. She said I could keep him, but I didn't want him either. I called Nikki's attorney the next morning and hired him. Janice told me she was going to press charges, but her daughter begged her not to do it. She would be 18 in 5 weeks and she had been a willing participant. I tried to convince her to press charges. She said she just wanted it to be over." Minhyuk's eyes were still huge. He said it was like watching a drama in real life. I nodded and agreed. He held my hand and kept stroking my back.

"I was a complete mess, but Nikki kept me from going completely under. She was my rock, my sanity. I stayed with her and the kids for 8 months because she would not let me move out. I was already working at the gallery and I saved all my money during that time. I did not take anything from him in the divorce. I took only my personal things and my clothes. I wanted nothing of his.

"I had gradually given up my art, except photography. I was just going through the motions with it though. I let Jackass convince me that I wasn't any good. He insulted my work, he made fun of my sketches, and he destroyed one of my sketchbooks when he was drunk one night. He would tell me that my photographs were boring, and he didn't know why I bothered trying.

"I was already a Monbebe, but I could not really be open about it at home because he hated it. He thought K-pop was for kids and felt I was too old to listen to it. But I really started getting attached to you guys and found some sort of hope in your music. I started watching your shows and found myself looking forward to something for the first time in years. Then the scandals with Shownu and Wonho happened and I was devastated. But I saw how you all were fighting, and how Monbebes were banding together and other fandoms with us, and I felt I had a purpose again. I started fighting for you guys and for myself. I clung to you without ever having met you. Your smile, your laughter... they were comforting. You were my sunshine in a very dark time." I touched his cheek and smiled at him before continuing. He kissed my hand and held it while I talked.

"I started getting my health back under control. I started painting and drawing again and it felt great. I looked at my photography over the past few years with fresh eyes and realized it was dark and not very imaginative. But now, I am whole again. I have you in my life and I know this is real. You were there for me before you even knew me." I looked up into his eyes and said, "thank you Minhyukkie." He brought my hand up and kissed it with his warm lips.

"I am so sorry that you had to live in that for so long. I can't imagine how you must have felt. I think I really was there with you in some way. I felt a connection to you when we first met that I have never felt before. You deserve so much better and I will make sure you never feel those things again." He kissed the top of my head and pulled me into his arms, holding me tight. He held me and started singing to me. He knew how it soothed me and that it was exactly what I needed.

Simon had not appreciated being ignored the night before and woke us up by sitting on Minhyuk's chest and batting at his nose. It was the first thing I saw when my eyes opened, and it made me so happy. Simon did not interact with anyone else except Nikki and the kids. The fact that this was happening told me that he approved of the new person in my life. Cats are excellent judges of character, which is probably why so many people don't like them. Minhyuk swiped at his nose as he began to wake. He smiled when he opened his eyes and I was the first thing he saw. He quickly realized there was a third party present.

"Minhyukkie, I would like you to meet the other most important man in my life, Simon."

"It is a cat. Why is there a cat on me?" I laughed, knowing that he preferred dogs. He petted him anyway and Simon purred loudly, pushing against his hand and then nuzzling Minhyuk's nose. "Everyone has cats! Where are all the dogs?" I chuckled at him.