Chapter 21 : Toys

I had been treading over thin wire. There's this strange flame of desire that I feel for Mr. Deighton and the sense of guilt that tells me I am not an obedient daughter to my father who has sacrificed so much for me.

Why is it that my father has turned so stone cold all of a sudden? I have had male friends before, Joseph included. At times papa would joke how good we looked together and that we can even be together in future. What is it that is barring my father to forbid me to meet Mr. Deighton? What could that man might have possibly done to gain such apathy from my father?

Is there a side that I am too naive to notice? A side too bad for me?

Parents know better. A theory I have always heard but why is it that I want to crack this point and go run into Cloyd's arms no matter how dark natured he might possibly be?

"Your Highness?" Reyna snapped her fingers before my face to grab my attention and looked into my eyes in the most annoyed manner.

After my little adventure to the clothing shop with Mr. Deighton, he escorted me personally to Reyna's home and left without a word. I wonder if it's usual for him to change his expressions like the four seasons, or is it just me?

"Sorry..." I rubbed my eyes and laid down on her bed.

"What is troubling you?" She raised a brow and moved around the room to fetch the jug of water.

"It is nothing. I lack sleep, that's probably all," I lied. I do not want to tell her what has happened. What if she thinks I am wrong just like papa does? Or worse, promiscuous little girl?

"You slept for more than ten hours last night," Reyna snorted and sat beside me, "Is it Cloyd Deighton? Is the man harassing you?"

"N-no, it's not..." I stuttered in a very suspicious manner.

"Really now? I know how these infamous rich people can be. They seek for possible innocent targets to please themselves until they lose interest and discard them away - like a toy."

I stopped and looked up blankly while noticing the Victorian ceiling design. Am I a possible target for Mr. Deighton to tend to his needs?

"I don't think so, Reyna..."

"I saw him last night with a pretty blonde chippy. There was a lot of sexual tension that you could almost cut with a knife, even in a party filled with so many guests," Reyna threw the pillow towards me to take as support.

"Is that true?" I felt uneasy. Is there someone else in his life? Then why did he become so kind and affectionate towards me? 

He is handsome, cunning and has all the riches. Of course, he would have a lovely woman in his life. Why would he even need to look at me? Am I really a toy to fill in the gap?

"I think you should not associate much with him, Crystal," Reyna ran her fingers across my forehead and raised her concern but I shook my head.

"I'm fine. It's not about him," I lied again.

"Then why are there red marks around your wrist?" Her eyes lost the life and turned glassy with the unexplainable question.

Before I could explain myself, Mrs. Herrings entered the room with a pale face.

"Crystal?" Her voice was laced with panic and guilt. An expression I did not enjoy.

I sat up and looked into her eyes curiously.

"Darling... we just received a news from your house - your father.." she stopped with an apologetic stare.

"My father? What happened to him?" I stood up with strange electrifying sensations of shock and anticipation shooting across my brain.

"Honey," Mrs. Herrings placed her hands over my shoulder to steady me and continued in a soft voice, "Your father just met with an accident and has been taken to the local infirmary."

Papa.

He met with an accident...

As I processed the words speechlessly for a while, my eyes moistened and mouth ran dry.

I sprinted past Mrs. Herrings and escaped the borders of the house to find myself a carriage I can take to the local infirmary.

I needed to be with my father as soon as possible. I was tensed and scared beyond imagination.  How could this happen to him? One moment he was perfectly fine, right before my eyes and now all of a sudden he met with a fate so bad.

Has it ever happened to anyone else or is it just me that whenever you need something the most, you never find it?

There were no carriages on sight. It was late and dark, almost close for the rain to pour heavily and make the situation worse. I yelled for carriages and moved around frantically losing my calm.

"Help! It's an emergency! Please?! I need a ride!" My voice broke.

Two hands held me from behind and twirled me around, "Crystal! Calm down. Mother has called for our personal carriage to take you to your father. Please have patience."

I hugged Reyna and cried over her shoulder, a sudden burst of fear and sadness. I had no idea what would I do if anything happened to papa.

This was all my fault.

_______________________________________________________

Author's Note : 

My new and very boring semester started online and I have been pondering upon how to get my schedule sorted. Perhaps it's a phase, but I would do the best to maintain.

Consider pressing the star button and let me know in the comment section about your views on this chapter.

Love, 

A. P. 

__________________________________________________________

Follow me on Instagram : 

Username - endcore_ap