Chapter 13 : Thunderous Dinner

I sat down at the steps of my house resting my face on my hands serving as props.

I still didn't believe what just happened. After my visit with Mr. Deighton, I returned home and couldn't gather the courage to tell everything to my father but somehow I had the feeling that he already knew about this matter.

Several hours passed by and he still didn't say a word but just nervously smiled and asked me to get ready for my outing.

It was very strange. Did Mr. Deighton contact my father? It must be so or else how is he supposed to know. And now that he does, why didn't he get mad at me for going to his manor without informing him?

I tried talking to my father and apologizing for sneaking out like that but he dismissed it with a strange smile but I knew he wasn't happy.

All he said was, "Take care, dear child."

The words somewhat puzzled me because he looked very worried.

It's 6:55 of evening as my pocket watch read and I was dressed in the best outfit I could find for the evening. A light pink dress and my mother's charm necklace.

I had let my hair up in an elegant bun letting a few strands fall on the sides of my face. I think I look presentable for this... dinner.

I tapped the sides of my face and stared at the mud. I hadn't seen Reyna or Joe since yesterday. What might they be doing? I hadn't even started the assignment Dr. Lance gave me.

Being lost in the train of my thoughts, I didnt notice two bright headlights stop before my home. I squeezed my eyes and tried glancing until the lights went off and the driver stepped out.

He walked gracefully towards me and enlended his hand, "Miss Moore," he greeted and tipped his hat.

"Mr. Geldard," I said nervously as he led me to the car where Mr. Deighton sat in a strange silence. His face was half shadowed by his hat and the jaw held a wicked smirk.

Mr. Geldard opened the door and helped me beside Mr. Deighton who seemed as if he had been taking careful notes of me.

"You look beautiful," He looked at me and smiled.

"Thank you, Mr. Deighton, you look nice too," I complimented awkwardly not knowing the right words and shyly ran a hand over my skirt to smooth it down.

I stared at the distorted images passing by as we drove along the streets to a restaurant Mr. Geldard had told me about. I watched as people stared at me in a queer manner and I couldn't help but duck my head down and sit down in silence. Mr. Deighton doesn't seem to be too talkative either.

"How has your day been, Crystal?" He broke the silence and I snapped my head at him with a small smile, "It was well. I tried making a new pastry recipe that my father taught me and did some gardening and chores."

"Sounds like a rather peaceful yet busy day," Mr. Deighton commented and gripped his small cane.

"Yes it was," I smiled.

"Your pastries... they were delicious," He glanced at me and his eyes sparkled or it was just a trick of the lights. Nevertheless, he looked absolutely handsome.

"That is very kind of you to say," I whispered politely and turned my head while blushing. He did taste them after all.

Soon enough, the car came to a halt before a fancy looking building that had a large sign board in cursive writing and it read, "Red Regalia".

While I was gawking at it in awe, Mr. Deighton had already stepped down and was now standing before me and opening the door.

He helped me step down and I thanked him softly.