Chapter 18 : Harsh Bite

Mr. Deighton's eyes started growing stormy from the beautiful silver with every passing second. He hated it when anyone disregarded his requests which he didn't quite make as often. Moreover, seeing those tears in her eyes enraged him even more. If it had anything to do with her father, he would just rip the heart out off the old man and take her away.

He pushed open the doors and she gasped in shock. Her eyes wide like a deer caught in lights by the deadly hunter. His boots clicked as he demolished the gap between them and was parted just by the old wooden counter.

Crystal took a step back in fear. Her breathing was racing and heartbeat was loud and clear. She sealed her pale lips and gulped as she felt her mouth turn dry.

"I assume you declined my invitation for a proper reason," Mr. Deighton growled lowly and clenched his jaw seeing the tear drop sliding down over her cheek.

Crystal stood dead silent for a while, studying his enlarged pupils giving him a dreaded, evil look.

"I...I did have a reason," she managed to speak up.

"It better be good," he tilted his head with an unwavering, strict gaze.

"I didn't mean to disrespect you sir, in fact, I did wish to attend but-" Crystal halted mid-sentence and her lower lip pouted out, quivered as if she would burst out crying any minute.

She was still in the rags she wore everyday with the messy apron having prominent stains of chocolate and flour, her hair was up in a bun with some strands sticking out as if she had over worked her limit. More the time she took to give him a reason, more did his patience tick out.

"But, what?" Cloyd placed hand covered in black leather glove and leaned closer to her face.

Crystal sighed and closer her eyes then opened them back again, "Customer rush was high today, papa needed hand."

Cloyd raised an eyebrow and folded his arms crossly. Giving a very curt nod, he said, "Of course when half of your regular buyers were out attending a ball and the remaining lower half who would hardly come for a bread or two once in a few days weren't working at all but in here on a Saturday buying and drinking the whole day, am I correct?"

"N-No.." Crystal stuttered and soon Mr. Deighton walked along the counter and stood before the weak flapping door that would allow him to pass. He aggressively pushed open the door which made a loud banging sound. In a heartbeat, he stood right before her, just an inch apart.

Crystal was trapped between the counter and Mr. Deighton's tall self. She felt scared and helpless when he placed both of his arms on either side of her and over the plank.

"You dare lie to me?" He asked in a sickly calm voice but his eyes and expression told her otherwise. She kept glancing into his eyes and shivered a little before responding.

"Sorry..."

He grabbed her chin a bit harshly than he intended to and asked, "Since when did you learn to lie like this?"

His fingers dug into her soft skin roughly letting the tears that were momentarily gone appear back in her eyes and gather in a pool.

She blinked and a drop landed on his hand making him soften his hold and expression to lighten.

"Why?"

"I-I didn't have a dress," she lied again but perhaps it wasn't really a lie. She had no other fancy gown for such a lavish ball.

Mr. Deighton got hold of her slim waist quickly and picked her up to place her over the counter. "From now on, I'll buy you every dress, every accessory you will possibly need so you never give me such pathetic excuse ever again," he seethed in irritation.