Chapter 11 : Gifts And Schemes

After the birthday party, Mark took no time in taking Crystal back home and away from Cloyd Deighton. What he saw made him question the man's motive towards Crystal. Who knows he might have some unsound intentions behind him being all kind and nice to her?

As a father, Mark sure had the worst scenarios played in his mind about his daughter and that devilish man with a pious mask. Mark had done what he was told to and now he wouldn't want anymore contact but the problem was, could he stop Cloyd?

Mark could think of leaving the town with his daughter to somewhere far but that was not practical. Finding a nice tutor for his daughter or opening a new bakery shop would cost a lot. Besides, he had been warned by Mr. Deighton and judging by that, he simply couldn't escape him.

Cloyd was someone who can get what he wanted anytime and anywhere.

Only thing he could possibly do was to try his best in keeping his daughter away from Cloyd but even that could be dangerous.

All Mark hoped now was that he doesn't harm Crystal and that she is atleast spared.

Yes, going with the devil might give her security and protection. Would make her a queen embellished in jewels but would she be happy with that? Would Mark be happy with that?

After the party, there was no further conversation between Mark and Crystal; she was dismissed for the night quietly and even she felt a little embarrassed to talk anything after being found with Mr. Deighton in that intimate dance. So, she was now in her room and left with all the presents she got. Everyone has a certain excitement when gifted in a pretty wrap as the mind sure wanders to guess what it could be and so did Crystal's.

Her encounter with Cloyd had left her speechless and lost. He was one dreamy man and to get his picture out of her brain seemed like an impossible task. Whenever she closed her eyes, his mesmerizing grey eyes came into her vision. How can a man have such an effect on her in one night?

Something about him was so captivating but she didn't know how else to not think about him. He was like a combination of an angel and a demon but the demonic side was yet hidden from her eyes.

Shaking off the thoughts, Crystal peeled her dress off and changed into lighter clothes for bed. She carefully placed each and every accessory that she got into their respective cases in the same way they were and stored them properly in her almirah.

Crystal looked at all the gifts and made herself comfortable on her bed. After letting out a sigh, she picked up the box that Victoria gave her and gently unwrapped to find a designer wooden picture frame with a photo of Victoria around seventeen years back with an year old baby in her arms.

She was seated on a sofa with a huge smile and the baby Crystal in her arms giggled out toothlessly at the photographer who must be Alan as his reflection on the glass shelf behind was captured in the picture.

By looking at the present, Crystal felt so warm and blissful. This sure was a beautiful present, she thought to herself. Victoria and Alan have been like a family. They did visit occasionally on weekends but they loved Crystal a lot as their own and Crystal remembered how at times she cried when Victoria left after the weekends even when she didn't want to. But time changes and as she grew, somehow the bond seemed to start loosening with the work and their respective lives but whenever they found time, they made the most of it.

She positioned the frame on her night stand and began to open the other gift which was from Reyna. Her gift made Crystal gasp as it was the latest edition of the book she was saving up her money for. She hugged the book and bit her lip with a smile and placed it on the side beside the frame after making a mental note to thank Reyna and read the book as soon as possible.