Chapter 8 : Evening Surprise

Unedited

___________________________________

Note : Garson's name has been changed to Geldard.

___________________________________

One Week Later...

Crystal's P. O. V. -

The birds chirped and the beautiful sunlight broke through the small gap between the two curtains.

There was a spark in me today and a lot of excitement building up inside of me. I had never been this ecstatic on my birthdays but today, I just felt a different energy.

I rubbed my eyes and sat up by taking the support of the head of my bed. It was a bit cold and I didn't want to leave my duvets so, I pulled them close and smiled to myself.

Generally on my birthdays, I attended my class; met my friends and; went to see my mother's grave with my father. Then, to any place I would want to visit, be it the river side or a plain library. After spending the significant part of the day with papa, I would spend the rest of the day till evening with friends.

A little chat, some cake and a lots of fun. That's how it was and I loved it. These people have been the world to me. I do dearly wish my mother was here to spend time with us but unfortunately, she passed away two days after I was born in an accident.

My father has tried his best to never let me feel the absence of my mother and that meant a lot to me. He has been my only family apart from my friends. Playing the role of both mother, father and also a best friend to me.

Lord knows where I would be without my father and friends. They make this dull world colorful for me.

I turned to my side and picked up the picture frame of my father and me and smiled at it. I used to cause him a lot of trouble when I was young and still he never grew mad at me.

Tracing my fingers down the picture, I remembered the days when I was six. I placed it back on the stand and closed my eyes.

Just as I drifted in the journey of old memories, I heard the door creak open. I could tell it was papa or Reyna peaking in to check on me as they usually did on the morning of my birthday.

I slowly opened one eye just a little to see what they were up to and pretended to have lost in thoughts.

Successfully, they believed that I was unaware of their presence and tip toed to the foot of my bed. I bit my tongue to not burst laughing at them when I heard one of them hushing the other up.

"We know that you are aware we are here," Reyna commented and I had to open my eyes.

Letting out a giggle, I said, "I really thought I could fool you."

"Happy birthday!" Reyna ran up to me with her arms spread and gave me a tight hug, "Hey Crys, you successfully matured another year closer to white hair and wrinkly skin."

"Reyna!" I exclaimed at her but she ended up laughing at her own joke, "We will make perfect old cat ladies or perhaps dog ladies.." She pulled away and tapped her chin thoughtfully.

"If you are done with your future plans then, may I?" Dad inclined his head and spoke, "Happy birthday, my dear doll," He walked up to me with a smile and presented a beautiful flower.

"Thank you, papa," I reached out to embrace him after taking the lovely gift.

"You have grown into a lovely young lady, Crystal. I am proud of you," Patting my head gently, papa kissed my forehead.