Chapter 17 : Wine's Shade

The Sapphire Manor had been decorated at the very best by his men. Apple blossoms spread their sweet aroma across the large hall, their lovely pink tint gave a charming glint to the once haunted manor. The lights complimented with the golden freesia and the magnificent crystal chandelier hung through the highest ceiling to illuminate the scene royally.

Geldard walked through the hall, instructing the men to fix the slightest of inaccuracies at Mr. Deighton's command. It should be perfect and the most lavish house warming party the whole of Autumnlare had ever witnessed.

The glittery pyramid of wine glasses was set over the neatly set catering table with the most tasteful wine bottles on display for the guests to enjoy. The guest list included the elites of the society and certain close friends whose company was demanded at the utmost.

Once Geldard was pleased with the arrangement, he left the hall through the looming corridor and glanced up at the cloudy day through the lining windows. He placed a hand on his chest pocket and pulled out a white envelope. His steps faltered to a stop when he saw the very familiar sight of Cloyd sitting on the marble floor before the firepit intently watching the flames dance before his eyes in utter silence. The room felt almost suffocating with the doors and windows shut letting no light enter or escape except for fhe gleam of fire.

Cloyd circled the glass of liquor between his fingers and took a small sip. He immersed himself in the thoughts of the past or perhaps future, who knew.

The green liquid shimmered in his goblet one last time before he spilled the alcohol into the fire fueling it to roar more wildly at his face. These were the times Geldard saw his master look so vulnerable it was utterly pitiful; he hated it and wished he could help but he knew couldn't bring the past back.

"Sir," Geldard began but that didn't startle the already expecting Mr. Deighton.

"The then maximum share holder of the gems and jewelery industry - Lord Arrington the chairman of Reumarian Stones and Jewelers accepted your offer to sell seventy percent of his shares and make you a reigning partner. Congratulations, you now pull the strings of gems and jewelery industry of Reumaria, Autumnlare and more than forty percent of Woltaine," he then passed him the confirmation letter.

Mr. Deighton smirked.

__________________________________

~a few days back~
__________________________________

Venue : Reumaria, Lord Oliver Arrington's head office
______ __________ ________

"Greetings, Lord Arrington!" Cloyd walked in taking off his hat with a strange confidence. He had an unnatural glint in his silver eyes.

"...Mr. Deighton," Lord's voice dried up, he knew being visited by Deighton himself was bound to bring him bad news.

"What could possibly bring you to my place?" Arrington had heard his name and rise of fame in the neighboring country. His branches spreading like wild fire in Woltaine was no news to him. He had predicted it and he knew this would be his own downfall but he couldn't let his position be sold at any cost.

"A simple proposal, circling a matter is something which doesn't really please me," Cloyd took his seat like a royal and leaned forward. "I could have invited you for a pleasant dinner but I suppose time is as valuable to you as it is to me, now, straight to business, shall we?" He smiled charmingly.

Cloyd pulled out a piece of paper and placed it on the table with a gesture allowing Arrington to read it.

Arrington took the paper in his hands with a perplexed look, "What is this?"