xxxix. fallen (3.10)

Octavia's cries for Lincoln quickly turn to anger.

You can see it set in her face, feel it rolling off of her in thick tidal waves, and you know that no matter Octavia does, she'll get revenge for Lincoln.

She turns away and walks back to Helios, the mood of the group somber as she takes his lead from Harper and starts to walk to the cave. There's nothing the rest of you can do except follow, everyone quiet as the rain soaks you to the bone and hides your tears. You feel your heart crack open at the thought of Lincoln being gone, forever, sacrificed to keep his people safe. Nothing you do will bring him, or his quiet wisdom, or his intense sparring sessions, or his kind comfort, back. Lincoln is dead, by Pike's hand, and you were almost dead too. The same way you want to honor Gina with your life, you want to do the same for Lincoln. All he ever wanted was peace, and a life with Octavia. He'll never get the latter, but maybe the rest of you can achieve peace in his name, his memory.

At some point, Miller pulls ahead again, and Octavia drops back to walk with you. You know there's nothing you can say to ease her pain, so you reach out and grab her hand, letting her know that you're there for her. You walk the rest of the way to the cave hand in hand, but she drops it when you get there so she can tie up Helios.

You follow the others inside, Ocatvia beside you still, and as you come around the corner you see Bellamy. You let out a little gasp at the sight of him, chained up to the wall, unable to go anywhere. He looks relieved when he sees you and Octavia both alive and well, but he catches on to the mood of the group quickly. You see his eyes bounce over everyone one after the next, before he realizes who's missing. "Where's Lincoln?"

Octavia turns away from him, pulling her sword, Lincoln's sword, off her back and setting it on the ground at her feet. You see her fighting back tears as she answers, "Pike put a bullet in his brain."

"O..." He trails off, begging her to look at him, but she ignores him and pulls her wet jacket off, dropping it on top of the sword. "O, I'm so sorry."

You can see the change again, can practically feel Octavia pushing her heartbreak down and pulling out her anger instead. It's lighting fast, but it's written all over her face, and you have half a second to register the change before she spins around quickly and punches Bellamy across the face. Everyone in the cave shifts slightly, towards Octavia and Bellamy, you included, all eyes on the siblings, waiting to see if you need to intervene.

The force of Octavia's punch knocks Bellamy's head to the side, and he looks up at her in shock, before she punches him again, once with her right fist and then with her left. You step forward, grabbing her arm. "Octavia, stop."

She turns and pushes you down, blinded by anything but anger, and Kane steps closer to the pair of you. "Octavia, that's enough."

Bellamy looks over at him, blood already starting to mark his skin. "Kane, stay out of this."

Octavia stands panting, watching her brother, before she continues her assault, hitting him wherever she can reach: his arms, stomach, face. You can hear her sobs in between the sounds of the punches, and everyone turns away from the scene, unable to watch. You stay frozen on the ground, still watching, unsure what to do. Miller is the only one still watching alongside you, and as soon as Octavia knocks Bellamy to the ground, he closes the space between them and grabs her arm, pulling her away. "Okay, stop. That's enough."

She turns and punches him in the chest, knocking him back, into Bryan's arms. You scramble to your feet as Bellamy pants, "Miller, back off."

He pulls himself to his feet, blood all over his face, and as she punches him again you walk towards them, unable to watch anymore. She knocks him to the ground as you reach her, and you wrap your arms around her, pinning her arms to her sides. She struggles for a second, tears falling down her face, before she finally goes slack in your arms. She stares down at Bellamy, her face a storm of emotions, and he looks up at her from her spot on the ground. "You're dead to me."