Chapter Sixty

When Fire Meets Fate

recommended song:Facing Demons by Tommee Profitt

recommended song:
Facing Demons by Tommee Profitt

-

"And I left some milk in the fridge that you can warm up to give to Cara every hour or so." Evangeline explained as she handed her daughter over to Freya.

"Evangeline, we've got this." Rebekah grinned, gently running her fingers across Cara's wispy baby hair.

"Okay." Evangeline nodded warily.

"Are you sure you want to go, darling?" Elijah asked, placing a reassuring hand on her waist.

"I'm sure." Evangeline nodded. "I need to find out whatever Marcel is up to."

"The sun is about to set." Klaus interrupted. "If we don't want to get bombarded by Marcel's night walkers, we better get moving."

"Alright." Elijah nodded, taking one last glance back at where Cara was cradled in Freya's arms. He moved toward his eldest sister and bent down to place a kiss on his daughter's forehead. "I'll be home soon, little angel."

"We love you, my Cara." Evangeline whispered, walking up beside Elijah and kissing both of her baby's cheeks.

"Go get a move on, you two." Freya smiled warmly. "Cara will be here when you get back."

Evangeline nodded, letting out a heavy sigh. "Let's do this."

When the three vampires reached the compound, Klaus took the lead, and Elijah fell in step behind Evangeline. As they walked, his reached out and laced his fingers with hers. Evangeline couldn't help but smile at the gentle gesture.

As they approached, the compound was crawling with night walkers. They stared at the three vampires as they entered the building like a pack of cackling hyenas. Evangeline felt uneasy as the watched her, and squeezed Elijah's hand nervously. He pulled closer and gave her a soft nod. Klaus proceeded up the staircase of the compound and led them to the dining room. At the head of the table sat Marcel. When he saw them, he immediately stood, a large grin on his face.

"Klaus, Elijah, and my dear Evangeline, welcome!" Marcel greeted, gesturing towards the table. "Please, have a seat! Dinner will be served in a bit."

Klaus and Elijah both looked back at Evangeline, who watched Marcel with suspicion. After a moment, she sent both Mikaelsons a nod of reassurance, and the three slowly sat down at the table. Evangeline slowly looked around, her gut swirling. The last time she had been at the compound was when Marcel turned her.

"Bringing back old memories, Evangeline?" Marcel questioned, humor lacing his words.

"Nothing I'm fond of." Evangeline replied sharply, narrowing her eyes at him.

"Alright then," Marcel chuckled softly. "On that note, let's get down to business."

"Your letter claimed you wanted a truce." Elijah began, playing with the cuff link on his suit sleeve. "How do we know you are being truthful?"