Chapter Thirty Five

For The Good Of The Family

-

It had been two days since they came. Marcel's men continued to circle the property line like wolves stalking their prey. Each moment longer that they stayed, Evangeline grew more antsy. She couldn't stand being trapped in the house, but the fact that she had endangered the entire Mikaelson family was a while different story. Just simply seeing how much they would risk themselves to help her made her feel guilty beyond belief. Evangeline hated that they were in harm's way just because of her, and she knew she couldn't stand for it anymore. Rising from her perch on the couch, she walked into the kitchen where the rest of the family was enjoying their breakfast. She could sense the tension the moment she entered, and her throat tightened as she prepared to speak.

"Good morning."

"Good morning, Evangeline." Rebekah smiled warmly as she took small sips of her tea. "How did you sleep?"

"Quite well. Thank you." Evangeline replied. "How about you?"

"I slept alright. I woke up a few times during the night-"

"Can we all stop pretending like everything is perfectly alright?" Klaus growled in an irritated tone. "There are vampires circling our property right now and we're sitting around doing nothing."

"I actually wanted to talk to you all about that." Evangeline interrupted the hybrid, taking a deep breath. "I know how to solve our vampire problem."

"How?" Elijah cut in, instantly seeing the weary look on her face. "How, Evangeline?"

"I'm going to turn myself in."

"No! Absolutely not!" Elijah stood up from his seat at the table and stared her dead in the eye.

"Are you insane?!" Kol scoffed, quickly following Elijah's assertive tone.

"It's the only way to save you all." Evangeline sighed, tucking a piece of her raven black hair behind her ear. "I dragged you guys into this mess, the least I can do is free you from it."

"I think we should let her do it." Klaus chuckled. "It gets her out of our hair, and then Marcel will leave us alone."

"I refuse to let you do anything of the sort!" Elijah growled, slamming his palm down on the table.

"Elijah, I have to." Evangeline bit back. "This is my decision, and I would appreciate it if you'd respect it."

"No! I refuse to!"

"Alright everyone, let's take a moment here and breathe." Freya cut in, attempting to calm them down. "Elijah, stop your yelling, and Evangeline, please think about what you're saying. You remember how miserable you were when you were under Marcel's roof. Could you really do that again?"

"It's the only way to keep you all safe." Evangeline responded with a sad sigh.

"Evangeline, you don't need to worry about us. We can all protect ourselves." Kol sent her a sweet smile.

"But I can't stand the fact that I'm putting you all through this. You could be living out your lives right now if it wasn't for me."

"We would be trapped inside this house anyway, Evangeline." Rebekah commented. "We were already in hiding even before you arrived. You being here with us didn't change that. You actually made things bearable."

"Really?" Evangeline asked incredulously.

"We all love having you here, Evangeline." Kol laughed. "You tolerate all of my stupid jokes, train and practice magic with Freya, and talk girly gossip with Bex. I think even Niklaus enjoys your presence, though I doubt he'll admit it."

"I most certainly do not." Klaus scoffed.

"He does." Kol mouthed towards her.

Evangeline smiled, thinking about all the fun she's had with the entire family over the past few months, each moment bringing her closer and closer to them all. Minus Klaus, the only one who hadn't shown her that he cared was Elijah. She made eye contact with him instantly, and he stepped forward.

"You bring light into all of our lives, and that's something I think we all, especially myself, needed."

Evangeline didn't know how to react. Elijah had never spoken in such a way before. At least, not recently. It was a nice change.

"Thank you, Elijah." She whispered.

He smiled back, stepping up beside Freya and placing a hand on his sister's shoulder.

"Evangeline, please don't go." Freya reached out and gathered the young vampire's hands in her own. "We're still getting to know you."

"I won't." Evangeline responded, and she saw the Mikaelsons breathe sighs of relief. "I promise."

"Good." Rebekah laughed, pulling Evangeline in for a hug. "Because us girls have got to stick together."

-

I hope you all enjoyed! Don't forget to follow my Instagram (@ivoryconfessions) to see new promos for all of my books and find out about the next chapters before they're posted! Love you all!
xx lavender baby 💋