Chapter Fifty Eight

Reconciliation

I'm so sorry this took so long!! I've been very very busy the last couple of months and also had the worst writer's block ever 😩 this is a pretty short chapter, but I had to set it up for the next ones which will be longer!

-

"Evangeline?" Elijah asked hesitantly, peaking his head around the door.

"You can come in." Evangeline replied from where she was cradling Cara on their bed.

She could see Elijah's shoulders relax as she stepped into the room, softly closing the door behind him. As he approached, a smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he looked down at his daughter. When he glanced back at Evangeline, his expression changed.

"Freya told me you wanted to talk."

"I'm sure you heard my conversation with her." Evangeline began, noticing an uneasy look in his eyes. "I know my barrier was down."

Elijah swallowed, taking a step forward. "I am deeply sorry for the pain I've caused you, Evangeline. I should've told you what I had done sooner."

"You're right. You should've told me sooner. But, I'm not mad that it happened." Elijah seemed to be scanning over her face, trying to read her expression as she spoke. "Freya told me you did it for Hope, that you saved her from my mother, and if I was in your position and it was our daughter in danger, I would've done the same. So... I forgive you, Elijah."

"I truly am sorry, baby." Elijah whispered, taking a few steps closer.

"I know you are." Evangeline nodded. "Elijah, if we want this to work out, you and I need to continue to be open and honest with each other. If something has happened in the past, I want to know."

"And I promise to tell you anything and everything." Elijah replied, placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "I love you so much, Evangeline. I can't imagine not having you or Cara in my life."

"You won't." Evangeline sighed before patting the mattress on his side of the bed. "I've kept Cara cooped up in here for days. Why don't you come spend some time with her?"

"As much as I would love that," Elijah chuckled softly, reaching out to cup Evangeline's cheek, "I think you and I need to spend some more time together and talk things over."

Something about the look in his eyes made her heart flutter and she nodded.

"Why don't I take Cara downstairs to be with her aunts and uncle for awhile, and you get that sound barrier back up? We wouldn't want my nosey siblings to eavesdrop anymore than they probably already have." Elijah laughed, leaning down to place a sweet kiss on her lips as he pulled Cara from Evangeline's arms.

"That sounds good." Evangeline smiled.

Several hours later, after a long conversation about honesty and sharing past stories, Evangeline now lay snuggled up beside Elijah. She finally felt some relief wash over her after having made up with him and wanted nothing more than to move forward.

"I can't believe Cara is a week old today." Elijah mentioned as he cradled his daughter in his arms. "It feels like we just brought her into this world."

"We did." Evangeline teased, softly running the tips of her fingers back and forth where she lay on his chest. "But I know what you mean. I can't believe she's real sometimes. When she was first born, I kept catching myself staring at her like I was afraid she would vanish into thin air."

"She's not going anywhere." Elijah replied, kissing Evangeline on the forehead. "It finally feels like we're a family, and I'm never going to let that go."

"But...." Evangeline stiffened, worry crossing over her features.

"But what?" Elijah looked down at her in concern. "What's wrong, darling?"

"Marcel is still out there, Elijah." She whispered, looking up at him. "He knows Cara exists, and now that she's born... what if he tries to go after her?"

"He won't." Elijah stated gruffly. "I won't let him get anywhere near our baby girl. She has you and I, and a family of original vampires to watch over her. Marcel can try all he wants, but we will keep Cara safe. I promise."

"You're right." Evangeline sighed, trying to settle back down. "We'll keep her safe. Always and forever."

"Always and forever." Elijah nodded, squeezing both Evangeline and Cara in his arms. "My girls."

-

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Are we glad Elijaline is back?! Don't forget to follow my Instagram (@ivoryconfessions) to see new promos for all of my books and find out about the next chapters before they're posted! Love you all!
xx lavender baby 💋