Chapter Fifty

Surprising Kindness

-

The tears rolled down Evangeline's cheeks before she could stop them from happening. She felt overcome with a whirlwind of emotions. As she passed the floor length mirror in the bathroom moments after stepping out of the shower, she caught sight of her reflection. It drew her back as she stared at her herself, dark black hair clinging to her naked skin, chocolate brown eyes cloudy with emotion, and the very obvious baby bump that now showed from her midsection. The reality of her situation seemed to set in yet again after she had tried so hard to push it deep down inside.

After the showdown with Marcel a month ago and Elijah's comforting talk the morning after, Evangeline had finally seemed to settle in with the fact that she was going to be a mother. In reality, she had buried the emotions deep within her, refusing to let them surface again. She wanted to feel happy, at least, for now.

However, as she stood staring at her growing baby belly, she felt the emotions bubble to the surface like hot tar. It felt like they were burning her from the inside out. Before she could stop herself, a loud cry escaped her lips as water began to pool in her eyes. Seconds later, her cheeks were stained with tears and she was trying her best to suppress the uncontrollable sobs that were pouring from her mouth. Her body felt like it was on fire, every worry and concern igniting a path upon her caramel skin. As she stared at her reflection, Evangeline let out a scream through the continuous sobs, swinging a hand around towards the mirror and shattering the glass with her magic. As she stood, her breath heaving and her eyes scanning the glass shards littering the floor, she heard the faint sound of footsteps on the stairs. Within moments, Elijah arrived at the door and she turned to face him. He wore a look of concern and compassion.

"Evangeline, darling, are you alright?!"

Evangeline stared at him, trying desperately to blink back the tears. She had never intended for Elijah to see her like this. She was supposed to stay strong. She couldn't have him worrying about her even more than he already was. But the second she laid eyes on him, his soft eyes full of worry for her, she broke. She fell into his arms as he stepped forward and pulled her against his chest. Slowly sinking to the floor, Elijah stretched out his legs and cradled Evangeline tightly against him. As she cried into the comforting softness of his dress shirt, he gently stroked her hair, slowly calming her down. It took a few minutes for her to catch her breath, and when she did, Elijah waited patiently for her regain her voice.

"I'm sorry." She whispered pitifully.

"Why are you apologizing, love?"

"I don't want you worrying about me." Evangeline replied, her eyes flicking down to her hands in her lap. "I-I'm fine. It's just the pregnancy. The hormones are making me emotional."