Mating Season Begins

Start from the beginning

"Why the hell would you drag me all the way across town when I could've taken a nap at the guild?"

Emi rolled her eyes before leading him up to his apartment. She pushed him on his bed before walking over to the couch and sitting on it. She opened up her book and silently read as he looked up at her surprised.

"What are you do--"

"I'm making sure you take a nap so that you will feel better."

Sting stayed silent as he tried to fall asleep. However, all he could do was stare blankly up at the ceiling. He got an idea and shifted so he was looking at Emi.

"Come take a nap with me."

"No."

Sting held his mouth open before whining, "Why not? I need you to--"

"If you're irritable because of what I think it is, I am absolutely not staying in the same bed as you. There's no telling what your mind would do."

"I promise I won't. So will you please?"

Emi shut her book and sat on the edge of the bed. Sting scooted closer to the wall so that Emi could lay down, holding up the blankets for her.

"If you try anything stupid, I swear to god I'll--"

Emi looked over once she heard the blond's snoring and sweatdropped.

"If you were going to fall asleep as soon as I came over here then I wouldn't have come."

She left the bed and sat back down on the couch. She continued to read when she heard a groan from the bed.

"You said you were taking a nap with me."

"You fell asleep before I could even lay down, so I decided to finish reading my book."

Sting begged her to come back, Emi reluctantly doing so. The same thing happened - Sting fell asleep as soon as she walked over. She rolled her eyes and returned to the couch once again before hearing the dragon slayer huff again. He sat up and glared at her, but she was too focused on what she was reading.

"Will you please just--"

"I'm reading something important."

"You said you would--"

"According to this book--"

Sting groaned before falling back on the bed, muttering about her always reading.

"I'm reading that book on dragons you gave me, and I was just explaining to you what I found on mating season."

"I don't care. I just want you to--"

"It says that during mating season, an unmated dragon becomes very irritable and moody. A mated dragon becomes aggressive and protective over their mate. This book writes about how a dragon will become calm when in close proximity to their mate, and an unmated dragon does the same with a potential mate."

Sting's face flushed as he refused to make eye contact.

"Aw," Mira cooed, "that's such a cute thing."

Laxus scoffed, "Mira, that time of the year is anything but cute."

"It's true," Rogue agreed. "It's hell."

"Why would that matter?" Sting finally asked, trying to act indifferent.

"I'm not saying it does. I was just assessing the situation."

Sting turned so he was facing away from her, still fighting the embarrassment. He tried once again to fall asleep, but he couldn't seem to get calm enough to be able to. Emi silently shut her book and sat on the edge of the bed, making a wave of relief immediately wash over him. He seemed to blush even more at that realization, but he didn't turn around until she spoke again.

"I will stay over here until you wake up again, but I am going to read my book. Is that alright?"

--------------------------------------------------

"So where did you two go yesterday?" Kira slyly inquired. "We didn't see you for the rest of the day."

Sting went to snap at her before Emi held his arm and told Kira that he needed to sleep.

"You slept the whole night, dragon boy? Talk about being lazy."

"What did you just say to me?"

"I said you're la--"

"Kira, I would suggest that you try to not aggravate each other this week. It'll only end in a fight."

"Aw. Is dragon boy too moody to hold a conversation?"

"Holy--"

"Rushing--"

"Dispel."

Both Sting's and Kira's spells were canceled. They both looked at Emi to see that she looked pissed.

"What did I just tell you two? No fighting. I don't care how irritable you are."

------------------------------------------

Emi sat down next to Sting at the guildhall. He was laying his head on the table again and she was reading her book. He had seemed to calm down and was starting to sleep when he felt Mich approach the two.

"Emi, would you help me with--"

"Go away."

They both looked at Sting in surprise before Emi rolled her eyes and followed Mich.

"Does your book say how long he'll be like this?"

"Haven't you been through this every year? How long does it usually last?"

"Well," Mich started, "it usually lasts about a week, but that's already passed."

Emi sighed before quickly helping Mich and returning to Sting's side. His head snapped up, ready to yell at whoever it was, but he calmed down when he saw that it was Emi. He placed his head back down on the table as she opened her book to continue to read. After a few minutes, Emi placed her free hand on his head and started to pull her fingers through his hair.

"Hey Emi! Did you wanna join me for that Clover Town request?" Kira yelled across the guild.

Sting was about to yell at her to be quiet when Emi spoke up, "Sorry, Kira, but I already promised Sting that I would go on a request."

The dragon slayer looked at Emi confused, not remembering him ever asking.

Kira laughed, "Are you sure that's a good idea? In the mood he's in he might just destroy the whole town."

"Don't worry. I'll make sure he doesn't."