|22| I'm Here

When they left her, she requested to be left in the wheelchair in between the beds

When they left her, she requested to be left in the wheelchair in between the beds. She had told them it was because she didn't want to lay down, but she held Kei's hand as soon as they left the room. It was cold and clammy, seemingly devoid of life. If it wasn't for the heart monitor, she wouldn't know if he was really still of this world.

But, his hand twitched to her touch. It started to grab onto it. (Y/N) held her breath as she stared at the hand. Her gaze went to his face.

She nearly fainted when she saw golden eyes.

~*~*~*~

"Kei," she whispered.  "Kei... Kei... you're awake."

His eyes widened.  He couldn't see well, but he knew (Y/N) was right in front of him.  Everything came back to him.  The fall, her brokenness,  her decision to end it all.  All the negative emotions washed over him.  Kei just wanted to cry and break down. 

He saved her in the process of hurting her.

"(Y/N)... Please... tell me this isn't a dream.  Tell me this isn't the sick perversions of my mind trying to trick me and rip me apart.  I can't take it if it is."  A choked sob fell from his broken voice.  It was like an overused recorded, scratchy and hard to understand.  Hot tears poured like a hurricane from his eyes. 

"I'm here," (Y/N) reassured.  "This is real.  I'm real."  Her grip tightened on his hand.  A faint shaking could be felt.  She sniffed and scoffed at herself.  "I... I don't know how to react.  I've been waiting for what seems like forever, but now, you're here.  I'm at a loss for words.  There's so much that I want to tell you, and I don't know where to start."  She laughed.  "We're a mess, aren't we?"

He only cried harder.  By now, someone must have heard.  The two were caught in their own little world. 

"I'm... so sorry.  I was so weak.  I should never let you get up to the side of the railing."

"Kei... if anything, it's my fault.  You got hurt because I was hurting myself."

"Your pain will be my pain.  I should have sensed the way you were feeling earlier and stopped you.  It's my fault.  I left you alone to deal with those bitches.  I was too caught up in myself and..."

"Shut up, Tsukishima Kei..."  (Y/N) whispered as she brought their hands up to her lips.  "I can't stand it."

"(Y/N), please..."

"It's not your fault.  It's all mine.  You saved me.  I would be dead if not for you.  Don't degrade yourself.  You're my hero and my savior.  I don't remember much about what happened, but I know you saved me."

His heart seemed to stop.  Her soft words were too much.  Over and over again, he had heard variations of "Don't belittle yourself."  But none of them hit him the way hers did.  Perhaps it was his feelings for her, but it felt like it was the truth for once in his life.  One of the padlocks on his heart's walls was broken.