|17| Abyss (Part 1 Finale)

He decided his best bet was the roof

He decided his best bet was the roof.  The stairs came upon his left, and he swerved onto it.  He skipped a step or two.  The second and third years stared like their underclassmen. 

The door to the roof had a sign on it, saying that it was only open to third years for lunch.  Since lunch was over, it should have been empty. 

But, when he opened the door, there was (Y/N) standing by the waist-high fence. 

~*~*~*~

"(Y/N), I..."

"Why did you do any of that? Why did you fight Sato?"

He fell back against the now-closed door in shock. The pain in his legs caught up to him, and it hurt like hell. Catching himself, he moved towards the girl. Her hands were behind her and clasped on tight to the rail. She looked as if she could collapse at any second.

Tsukishima gazed into her hurting eyes. "I fought her because she was going to hurt you," he said.

"I can handle myself."

"It was three against one. Seriously, you think you would be able to defend yourself? I did what I had to do." His voice creaked slightly from the lack of use.

"You didn't have to do anything! I'm not your problem. At least, not anymore."

That hurt more than his legs. Here was the one he cared about pushing him away. That's what he wanted, right? He was worthless. He didn't deserve her. Why did it attack his heart so much, then?

The two girls seemed to overlap. He began to see his ex-girlfriend over (Y/N). Her long black hair shadowed (Y/N)'s (H/C) hair. Their eyes merged. It was an ethereal sight. The similarities were too remarkable.

(Y/N) was like Rika, and he was scared of the outcome. Rika's fate was not one that ended well.

"You will always be my problem." He moved to her and grabbed her hands. The height distance was apparent as (Y/N) only came up to his chest. Tsukishima leaned over her and looked down at her. She gazed up and met his eyes. A teardrop fell on her face. "Why don't you see that I don't want to see you hurting?"

"Tsukishima..."

"I don't care what you think. Even spending two weeks away from you was too much."

She bit her lip. "Us, even being next to each other, brings only pain. Don't you hear all the rumors? Everyone has turned against me. I thought you had too. I wouldn't blame you if you did."

"Nothing they say can deter me."

"They called me your fucking sex toy, and that was the only reason you were my friend! They said all the teachers treated me differently because I allowed them to knock me up. It's so disgusting. I hate myself for not being able to deny them. If only they knew. They wouldn't treat me the same. I went through that shit once, and it was worse than this."