|19| Emergency Room

He felt as if he failed

He felt as if he failed. Tsukishima was his best friend, and he didn't see it coming. On the off chance that it wasn't the blond's deadly thoughts that hurt him, Yamaguchi would feel better. But, this was possible. His own mother said two weeks ago that she thought he was going to go through with it.

Yamaguchi couldn't help but think that it was a bad idea to start school again. Tsukishima was still unstable. He let him go back into a place of deceit and judgment.

Yamaguchi let Tsukishima go back to their current Hell.

~*~*~*~

Akiteru did not go back to his mother's house very much. Back in his last year of high school, his parents got a divorce. Even three years later, the argument that ended it all rang clear in his mind. His mother, Takahashi Umi at the time, accused his father of cheating on her when she was away on a flight. She said one of her friends had called her to tell her that he was with another woman. Takahashi Ken wasn't a cheater. Akiteru knew that. But, his mother couldn't get the idea out of her head that he was no longer interested in her. Her obsession was what caused his father to leave, Akiteru with him.

That night, Akiteru listened from his room. It wasn't hard. Their arguing tended to be loud. It was never physical, rather more psychological warfare from both sides. Tension always filled the house the days that followed.

With the recent development of his younger brother dating, Kei was out of the house lot of the time. Whether it was with Yamaguchi or Shiro Rika, Kei had an escape from it all. Akiteru would say volleyball was his paradise, but with all the fantastic people on Karasuno's team, he didn't even get to play a game. He went there because of the legendary Coach Ukai, but it felt like a waste. A high school closer to their home and Amemaru Middle School would have been better. But no one needed to know that. His parents had enough to deal with.

Akiteru wanted to be a good brother to Kei. Lying to him nearly killed him. When Kei found out, it was right before the divorce. The fact that Akiteru sided with their father severed any hope that he would have a good relationship with his brother.

Kei was blind to their mother's tendencies. He loved her unconditionally. Of course, he would stay with her. He saw no fault in her.

Akiteru didn't see his brother again until he found out about Shiro Rika. Kei had dark circles under his eyes and looked hollow. He was detached from every conversation. He had to take care of himself at home. Most of the time, he would wear long-sleeve and baggier clothing. Akiteru only stayed at the house for two days before heading back. It was painfully obvious how Kei didn't want his older brother there.

The next time was when Kei was admitted to the hospital. Just that once, his mother, now Tsukishima Umi as she took on her maiden name, called his father. He didn't go to visit Kei, but Akiteru did.