|16| Caught

Weirdly, it hit him, then

Weirdly, it hit him, then.  This was the girl Tsukishima liked, but she seemed just as broken as him.  Could Tsukishima even go through a relationship like that?  Would it be good for either of them?  Would it just break them further?

One thing felt wrong, though.  He knew he shouldn't be the one comforting her.  Sure, they were friends, but they still weren't as close as her and Tsukishima or her and Himura. 

But, there was no one else that could comfort her.  There was no other option.

~*~*~*~

"Okaasan, do I really have to go today?"

"(Y/N), are you feeling okay?"

"For the most part, but it's so boring," (Y/N) lied. The truth of the matter was that she was fed up with everyone at school. After her talk with Himura, the thought of orchestrating her own death never really left her head.  Each class was a new battlefield.  Each break was a new opportunity.  Each thought was a new weapon.  Her head almost seemed to hurt from all of it. 

She wanted to live a normal life.  She didn't want to kill herself. Her mind was at war with itself. She desired the freedom but knew it came at a cost. The chains that held her down were heavy, and she wished for nothing but to shed them. Was that too much to ask? Did her happiness have to come at the cost of her life?

(Y/N) kept telling herself it didn't. But, the voices, outside and inside, told her differently. They were so loud, deafening. No one could stay sane under that pressure.

She had to try.

"Nevermind that, Okaasan," (Y/N) said. She threw her school bag over her shoulder and made her way to the door. "I'm just tired. I'll be fine."

"You don't have to force yourself," her mom said, crossing her arms. "(Y/N), if you aren't feeling well, stay home. I know you don't want to resort to that."

"I'm fine. I'm not going to die yet."

"If I get a call from Emica-chan, I told you so."

(Y/N) rolled her eyes and opened the door. "I promise to be home as fast as I can after school. After all, I don't want to worry you."

~*~*~*~

When he left his house later than usual because he didn't feel like sitting in practice like an invalid, he definitely did not expect to run into (Y/N). He knew she lived in the same general direction as him, but this was the first time they met on their morning walk.

To keep it simple, it was awkward. Neither of them really wanted to talk to the other. (Y/N) for the reasoning that she wanted to stop the rumors. Tsukishima for the reason of his own self-doubt and hate. Don't get him wrong. He would have loved to walk with her. But, there was this nagging feeling of dread. He credited to his dark thoughts; there was something about it, though. The look in her eyes mirrored his own. Not just his eyes right then, but those of two years. The days he looked off the cliff into the dark. The abyss called him, then.