Chapter 40 | running away

"I will try not to runaway."

• ♡ •

Heer looked at the house as the car came to a halt. The house reminded her of the neighborhood she had grown up in. The typical old independent homes kind. No fancy garden or anything like that, like they described on books. But rather a typical metallic gate, beyond which there was just enough space to park a single car. Three steps leading up to the main entrance which was a wooden door. A door hanging made of fake flowers decorated just above the door. Heer's hand went to the chain around her neck to be sure she was wearing the nuptial chain. She turned to look at Kabir who was lost in his own thoughts staring at the house. "You okay?" She asked gently placing her palm on his thigh.

"Yeah, let's get out." He spoke after taking a long determined breath. He had ultimately decided to pay his old home a visit, for his mother's sake. He noticed that the door opened and his mother walked out. Dressed in the typical cotton saree. On seeing her, he realized how much he missed her.

Once out of the cab, Kabir hurried towards his mother who had stepped out from the gate. He touched her feet and then engulfed her in a hug. 

"Oh, Kabir! It is so good to see you come back here." His mother uttered washed with joy on seeing her son return home.

Kabir felt like the teenage boy returning home from school. His mother always made it a point to greet him with a hug. Her soft cotton saree and scent of the kitchen that came with her made him feel home. Kabir pressed his teeth down on his lower lip as he felt his vision blur with overwhelming emotions. 

Kabir pulled away when he was sure that his eyes no longer had glistening moisture in them. "You haven't considered dying your hair yet?" He asked looking at her brown grey hair owing to the henna she applied.

His mother smiled, gently patting his cheek. The wide smile on her face didn't waver a bit. "Where is my Adu?" 

On cue, Advika ran up to her grandmother squealing, "Daadi!" 

"There is my littl girl grown all tall. My angel has grown up." Mrs. Jaisinghani spoke hugging her granddaughter. 

Heer smiled awkwardly standing beside Kabir. Her eyes nervously watching her mother-in-law pepper kisses all over Advika. She smiled remembering her own grandmother, the only person from her family who loved her unconditionally.

"Heer beta," the older lady called out to Heer. Heer managed to smile and took a step closer. She was engulfed in motherly warmth as the older lady pulled her into a hug. "I am so happy you all came. This time Diwali will be more lively."

Soon they noticed Krishna Jaisinghani, Kabir's father standing at the gate. Heer noticed how Kabir's smile had disappeared and his hand had gone to Advika's shoulder. "Hi Daadu!" Advika cheerfully greeted moving away from Kabir to give her grandfather a hug. The old man smiled looking at the girl, gently patting her back. His gaze raised up to meet his son's eyes.

Krishna Jaisinghani hadn't felt happier than he did when he saw his elder son stand at the gate. As years turned his hair grey, regrets had began filling up the back of his mind. He had been a very boastful man who took pride in being the head of his family. But with his elder son not agreeing to marry the girl he had chosen for him, things had started going downhill. His male ego was hurt when his elder son started taking interest in kitchen work which was the zone best left to women. Kabir choosing Varsha to be his wife over his wishes was a bruise to his self respect. 

Maddened by the crumpled self respect he opposed the birth of a girl child to him. But now in retrospect he wished he had not been so blinded by his ego. He didn't have any grandchildren who he could tell stories to  play with or take to the park. The sweet girl's saccharine smile further clawed at his bleeding heart. How could he be so evil to oppose the birth of a girl like that?