Chapter 24 | husband on duty

"Actually, you can be really sweet at times!"

• ♡ •

Heer stood alone in the balcony, the cold breeze biting at her skin. She placed her hands on the railing, running the entire conversation in her head. Her heart was chained with fear. She was angry at everything. He liked her and wanted a relationship from her. Didn't he know she sucked at it? Whatever they shared was so beautiful then why would he let it go? There was no way she would repeat the same mistake again. Those kind of relationships always started well and ended bitterly. She didn't want to loose whatever she had with Kabir. She closed her eyes and leaned getting a grip on the panic consuming the peace of her heart. 

Minutes passed. She couldn't get the image of Kabir's face expressing hurt out of her head. She felt guilty. He was always there for her and in return for everything, she mercilessly lashed his feelings. When had she become so insensitive? But couldn't he understand that allowing a normal relationship of that of a husband and wife could harm them both. 

He still loved Varsha. She had had enough of bitterness that came with loving someone in that way. For once she thought she was doing right. Their friendship was perfect. Why did he want more out of it? 

Silent tears streamed down her cheeks. She didn't want to hurt him. He was the only one who was there for her and now she hurt him. Maybe he wouldn't even want to talk to her again. Her heart plummeted. Kabir and Advika were the only people she cared about. What if Kabir didn't want her to be a part of their lives anymore? Fear consumed her. No, she couldn't stay away from them, from Advika. She wiped her tears and walked in to apologize. 

She stepped inside and shut the door. She noticed that Kabir had laid out the extra mattress on the floor. He was sitting on the sofa with his head thrown back against the head rest. Heer's guilt only intensified. He didn't deserve the harsh rejection. But she was so scared. She had panicked and reacted. She had to apologize and make him understand that what they had was beautiful.

"Kabir," she called his name softly.

Kabir inhaled sharply hearing her voice. He didn't want to talk to her. She had just shredded his heart. She wasn't wrong, he was. He was stupid enough to believe she felt the same way for him. It made him sick of himself. He has moved on from Varsha to give her place to Heer, the place of being his rightful wife. Heer wasn't here to be his wife. She was in their lives to be Advika's mother and she was doing that well. It was him who was the greedy and he had crossed the very same line that he had laid out in the first place. 

But a small part of him was angry with Heer. Did she not see how much he liked her, respected her and cared for her? Was it wrong to wish to be there for her. Was it wrong to wish she could be there for him when he needed someone? Did he not deserve to be cared for, to be understood, to have a companion he can confide everything in?

"Heer, I am sorry. I ... I will sleep here."

Heer felt her heart squeeze in pain. He didn't meet her eyes. He had just proposed to her and she had made him feel ashamed about it. "You shouldn't be," she spoke taking slow steps. "I am sorry, Kabir. I shouldn't have.... reacted like that. And you don't have to sleep here. It's your home..."

Kabir finally looked up at her. "I think we need some space.."

"I am sorry, Kabir." Heer spoke sitting beside him. 

Her apology only hurt him more. He didn't want her pity. "Heer, let's drop this? Go sleep, we will forget that this night ever happened. I don't know what I was thinking...to even say that." Kabir muttered looking at nothing in particular.