"No, of course not. I would be happy to discuss theoretical magic at any time, but Lady Daphne inadvertently confirmed some if your suppositions today. I believe her sister's positive reaction to our archery lessons made her feel at ease."

All Theresa's positive feelings disappeared in a rush. She cursed her sister's blabbering and lack of caution.

Furthermore, why was Thomas giving reports of her sister to the wizard? She had suspected something was not right regarding his attention to Daphne.

Clearly all his solicitousness was a ploy in his attempt to wheedle secrets out of her. Poor Daphne.

There was a sick twisting building up inside her stomach but she had to hear more.

"And?"

Thomas' voice came to Theresa clearly. "They seek an audience with the king."

"We already as much as knew that. Does she believe there's hope?" Wildwood asked.

"She does. It seems their aunt spoke true, in part."

"They both carry themselves as if they were born to the nobility. Even when Lady Theresa was a cat, she carried herself with an arrogance seldom found in anyone of lesser classes," Wildwood said musingly.

"Lady Theresa has enough arrogance I should imagine she bears a title the equal of yours, my lord," Thomas said. Theresa bristled.

"How odd that there has not been more of an uproar over missing noblewomen," Wildwood pondered. "Only that one brief visit from their aunt and then nothing. This matter is unprecedented."

"Lady Daphne has given no proper details, of course. No specific names or titles. I actually do believe that much of Lady Francine's story was true, just from the things that Lady Daphne has said. They were certainly orphaned at a young age, and it does seem that Francine has cared, if you could call it that, for them ever since," Thomas said. "I believe it was not a good situation for Lady Daphne, although she has not said it in so many words."

Wildwood's response was short. "Interesting."

"Oddly enough, I believe that Lady Theresa is the heir to their estate and to the Waldwick title. Lady Daphne must have a smaller inheritance, much as a second son might," Thomas said.

Perhaps it was interest in their fortunes that prompted Wildwood and Thomas to supposedly help her sister and herself. She has known there was danger in being an unprotected heiress in the wider world.

The confirmation of their treachery hurt. She gritted her teeth.

"Their father must have gone through no small difficulty to find a way to allow his daughters to inherit, what with all the laws that push inheritance through the male line," Wildwood mused.

"No doubt he did. I imagine Lady Francine wishes to remain in control of their fortunes," Thomas said with a certainty that made Theresa even more uneasy. How much had Daphne said?

"She might be rather dangerous if she feels threatened. She is a uncommonly powerful wizardress. I do not believe the ladies fully comprehend what they are up against. Although perhaps Lady Theresa suspects," Wildwood commented, his unconcerned tone belying his words.

"So, it's clear the ladies wish to go to the capital to petition the king to remove Lady Francine from control over their estates."

"A very difficult task when Lady Francine has almost certainly been spreading her version of the truth about the capital."

Wildwood paused. Theresa did not need him to say it to know the difficulty that lie ahead.

"Well, I thank you, Thomas. Just continue to cultivate Lady Daphne's confidence. I believe we've uncovered most of the pertinent information, but there may still be another layer. This matter would have been much simpler if they had been forthcoming from the beginning."

Theresa felt rage flood through her, hot and angry.

How dare he set Thomas up to spy upon her sister? How dare he spy into matters which were none of his concern? He had betrayed the small amount of confidence she had given him. She was completely furious.

She did not stop to consider why she also felt hurt.

They would leave at once. She and Daphne could and would not leave their fortunes and futures in the hands of these spies and liars. She quietly slipped down the stairs. When she was well out of hearing, she began to run.

* * * * *

Theresa found Daphne sitting in front of the mirror, brushing her hair. Fortunately, she had not yet dressed for bed.

"We're getting out of here," she announced.

Daphne's eyes grew round with her surprise. "Whatever are you talking about?"

Theresa narrowed her eyes. Daphne was entirely too trusting. "They can't be trusted."

"Who can't be trusted?"

"Thomas and Wildwood."

"Sir Thomas and Lord Wildwood," Daphne corrected with a raised eyebrow.

"Whatever. They do not deserve the titles of the nobility when they are entirely without honor."

Daphne was looking at her again as if she was insane.

Theresa glared. "What did they do that you are you so angry?"

"I heard them talking. Thomas is only showing you attention on Wildwood's orders to get information," she said.

Daphne's brow furrowed slightly. Theresa had expected her to start crying. "That doesn't seem right."

"That's what Wildwood said. I heard him say it as clearly as you can hear me talking," Theresa snapped and strode over to the wardrobe. Their travel bags were lying on the bottom.

She seized them and tossed one to her sister. "Put that on your back and let's go. We need to get to the capital."

Theresa grabbed a lantern that was sitting on the table. Wildwood could spare it. She could send it back to him once their aunt was disposed.

"I don't want to leave. I think you're overreacting. I can't even imagine how Wildwood could use information about us to his own gain," Daphne said carefully, watching Theresa's reaction as if Theresa were the one with whom she needed to be concerned.

"We're heiresses, for one. Your land alone is doubtless better than most ladies' dowries. You have no further to look than our lives of coercion with our own aunt to see how wealth and power might corrupt a person's ideals."

"All the more reason for us to stay here, Theresa. I have no desire to fall into some fortune hunter's grasp."

Theresa was losing patience. "We are already in some fortune hunter's grasp! Which is why we should leave at once."

"We'll be leaving in a couple of days for the capital with an escort."

Theresa tried to speak calmly. Daphne was simply not thinking straight. "The escort is the problem. Do you really think that I'm lying? I heard what I heard."

"Were you eavesdropping?"

Theresa scowled. Eavesdropping was no worse than what Thomas had done. "No. I accidentally heard. Now I'm leaving. You can stay if you wish," Theresa snapped and she marched from the room.