Chapter 22

Theresa and Daphne were confined to their room together for two days. It was excruciatingly long for both young women.

Theresa understood that she needed to stay there. There were no locks or guards keeping them in and the door was opened often enough when food and various necessities were brought to them, but she had no desire to ignore Wildwood's orders again and make him more angry at her.

His scolding kept burning in her ears.

She wanted to dismiss it, but she could not, because she knew he had been partially right, if a bit harsh.

Therefore, she waited in the closed rooms while Francine made her way to the capital to influence the king with her lies.

The rumors of what Francine's invented version of events were probably all around the country already.

Theresa really had no choice but to wait. Even if she did somehow get to the king, she could not explain what had happened, because she still was a cat.

She was a cat stuck in a room with her moping, complaining sister.

Theresa felt like she was in a prison.

Being tortured.

Slowly.

"I miss Sir Thomas," Daphne said, for what felt like the millionth time.

Theresa wished Daphne would stop repeating herself. Not only was it tedious but it reminded Theresa of her own impulsive actions. Theresa swallowed thickly.

She felt foolish. Was she not supposed to be the intelligent, wise, self-controlled sister? Daphne had always been the pretty, charming, much beloved one.

Now Theresa was doomed to be the pathetic cat sister, she thought hopelessly.

Then her mind moved on to recall the look that she had put on Wildwood's face. He had been so tense, so disappointed, so closed off.

"I wish Sir Thomas was here," Daphne said again mournfully.

Theresa wished she had her human hands back so that she could slap them over her sister's mouth.

Daphne seemed to think that it was perfectly fine to repeat the same idea over and over as long as she had reworded it slightly.

What did Daphne think would happen; would he magically appear if she said his name often enough?

Daphne knew as well as Theresa that Thomas was out scouting to see if Francine had truly believed they were not at Wildwood. He would be back with Daphne once they were certain that all was well.

Or at least as well as could be hoped for under the circumstances.

It was not Theresa's fault that he was not there. At least not entirely.

Daphne sighed.

Theresa gritted her teeth.

She had seen what an accomplished liar Sir Thomas was firsthand when her aunt was there. Who knew what he was really thinking? He might even be playing her sister for a fool, charming her with pretty lies.

Wildwood, too, could apparently lie with the skill of an actor. Thinking his name made Theresa's stomach knot up again with tension.

She had only thought that she should make sure that her interests were being taken care of. She had not been trying to put everyone in danger.

She hated that there was nothing she could do; that she had to rely on Wildwood to take care of them. Why could he not understand that?

Now Wildwood thought that she did not trust him. While it was actually true that she was not ready to do anything so foolish as that, Theresa had not wanted him to know of her distrust.