▪️Chapter 23▪️

Lucas leaned against the locker searching the crowd for a raven-haired girl. Erilian and Cole were standing next to him as Erilian scolded Cole about how he never took physics seriously while she exchanged her books.

"I just don't see why I need to take physics in the first place," complained Cole throwing his hands up.

Erilian gave him a look like he was the dumbest person she had ever met before turning to Lucas. "Lucas, tell him hes being stupid!"

"Why are you dragging Lucas into this?" asked Cole before looking at his best friend. "Hes not even paying attention to us." he snapped his fingers in front of his face. "Hey Lucas, buddy, you listening to me?"

Lucas, however, wasn't paying attention as his eyes roamed the crowd with a smile on his face that hadn't disappeared since yesterday.

After several attempts to gain his attention, Cole finally punched his arm. "The hell was that for?" demand Lucas rubbing his arm and glaring at his best friend.

"Finally!" exclaimed Erilian. "What's up with you? You've been spacing out the whole day. Did something happen?"

Lucas just shook his head before returning his gaze to the crowd. "No, I'm just thinking about something."

"Well it better be something good for you to be smiling like that the whole day," scoffed Cole.

Lucas just smirked but didn't say anything as he remembered what happened yesterday.

————————————————-

"Where did you get this?" she asked sounding breathless as she stared at his two leather bands.

He looked at her confused but answered anyway. "A friend of mine gave it to me, well I'd like to think we were friends. She left one day without a word. Told me they were her prized possessions," he told her gently rubbing the bands with affection.

When she looked up at him, his breath caught in his throat. She was looking at him with a mix of confusion, disbelief, amazement, relief, happiness and so much more. "W-why do you ask?"

She removed the bands, ignoring his protest and turned them inside out to show him the initials engraved into them.

E.H.M

"Because," she looked up at him with a slight growing smile. "Their mine, Elena Houston Matthews."

His eyes widened in disbelief at her words before he studied her. He must have found something because his eyes suddenly softened.

"You," he breathed out gently. "It's you." his hand suddenly came into contact with her cheek as his fingers gently pushed back her hair.

She smiled softly at him. "Hello stranger, it's been a while."

"It's really you," he laughed as he pulled her up and crushed her to his chest while she squealed in surprised and laughed with him out before he pulled her down to sit beside him facing each other. "So what happened? You suddenly stopped showing up one day."

"Fame happened." she shrugged at him.

He gave her an are-you-serious look. "At the age of 10?" he asked in disbelief.

"I was talented!" she threw her hands up. "You can't blame me for that." she laughed.

Lucas rolled his eyes before grinning and pulling her into a hug that she returned. "I missed you," he sighed before pulling back. "Everything pretty much sucked after you left."