Chapter 12: Into the Mountain Pass

"Why exactly are they called "The Moving Mountains of the Mist"?' Haru questioned sarcastically.

"The mist that surrounds them invokes hysteria to those that breath it in," Tsuki murmured under her cloak, "hence the moving mountains name."

Haru's eyes widened as she wore a worried look. Her gaze didn't leave the stretching fog over the mountains. It was growing larger. And to think Kakashi has been up here all this time.

"That's why we need to stay together. Partner up when we enter the fog," I instructed as they all nodded.

Immediately they all approached their usual partners. I was confused as to whether I was gonna make the move to Shikadami. Even though she had always been my right hand, for someone I had this lingering fear that she would want space to figure things out after our kiss. I watched as Inojou scurried his way to Haru.

"Hey, Haru..." he smiled before leaning in close to her, "maybe you could be my right hand this time?"

The grin he cracked was embarrassing. Like I was embarrassed for him. He was for sure going to get a slap to the face.

"I'll protect you." Inojou flirted.

Damn, this guy is asking for it. Haru has never been one to let men be her "protector". Girl is hardcore out there even though her personality says otherwise. Don't be fooled. You would think Inojou would have learned since being on the Anbu team the past few years together. She was not one to be messed with. He just doesn't want to give up on her. Even though he has been constantly rejected. Poor guy.

"Sure."

We all froze at that word. What? Did my ear hear right.

"What?" Inojou was just as shock.

"You heard me," she smiled, "Sure."

Inojou just stood there like a deer in headlights. He was going to screw up this moment for himself if he does not respond. What are you doing Inojou? We were probably all thinking the same thing. Say something.

"I-I..." He stuttered before paralyzed in shock.

There was a long awkward silence as Inojou started blushing. Haru didn't seem to be amused as she tried to question whether it was a good idea to his request.

"It's settled then. I'll go with Tsuki and Inojou with Haru," Choban laughed as he spoke up.

His temperament was chill and calm as he passed through the space between Haru and Inojou. Inojou did not dare to break his gaze from her, his face growing red.

Tsuki shrugged before casually following Choban into the mountain pass. They were the first to enter.

"See you guys at the temples." Choban spoke before giving us a wave and then disappearing into the fog with Tsuki. She didn't say anything, just no care at the situation.

Then my attention went back to Inojou who's mouth twitched open. Haru then proceeds to roll her eyes and then yank his hand dragging him behind her into the fog. Inojou's face was still blank before I saw it morph away in the nothingness. Wow, Haru was the first to shut the guy up.

I then remembered Shika.

Whipping my head around, I was met with Shika a few yards away from me with her hands crossed behind her back.

"Shika-"

"I guess that leaves me and you." She smiled warmly before passing me towards the fog.

I followed her like a sick puppy but tried to keep my excited composure as I held my status high. Why was this so different for me? We had done dangerous missions like this before. I was nervous.

As we fled into the fog, we picked up speed and started running up the hills and onto solid stone. The fog blurred my vision as I tried to keep Shika's backside into view. Soon my eyes began to burn for the toxic. It was time for me to open my byakugan. With it I was able to find Shika's chakra in the mist and locate her. Of course, she wasn't worried about me losing her because of that, I assume.

We might have been running and traversing up the cliffs when we arrived at a gorge. She stopped. I remained quiet as she felt the wind and listened.

"Someone's watching us," Shikadami informed.

Immediately she reacted to falling rocks and sent her kunai flying in the air. It hit a masked figure and then sent him falling down the cliffside. There was no way he survived that. Soon I began to question whether that was truly an enemy watching us. After all the mist is meant to trick us. But as I studied the chakra of the dead figure on the bottom of the gorge I didn't recognize the chakra signatures. At least not for it to be one of the others.

"There's more!" She yelled before dodging a spear flying at her position.

Sliding across the ground she filled her hands with knives as she laid low in the cover of the fog. These figures were not any of our friends.

Assassins.