"Why are you crying?" the queen asked quickly. She lifted the veil and mopped Daphne's eyes with a handkerchief.

"I'm just so happy!" Daphne wailed. "And I'm so worried!"

The queen spoke soothingly. "There's nothing to worry about, Lady Daphne. Sir Thomas is waiting for you down at the end of the aisle."

"But what about Aunt Francine?" she asked.

Theresa's heart dropped at the mere mention of the name. She wanted to avoid thinking of their wretched aunt today, but that seemed almost impossible to do.

"Lady Francine will not hurt you. You're legally out of her control," the queen said firmly.

Daphne glanced at Theresa, as if reluctant to say more. If it were so obvious that even Daphne recognized Theresa's peril, it must be dire indeed.

"Now we'll be going out there in a minute and everything will be fine," the queen continued gently.

"But what about after my wedding, Your Majesty?" Daphne asked. "Theresa will probably be leaving with Aunt Francine. Aunt Francine will never let her go. I've been thinking about it and she's only letting me marry Sir Thomas because she doesn't really need me. It makes her look like a loving aunt. No one says anything about it, I think they're trying to protect me, but I'm not blind. I see how things are. I'm going off to safety and Theresa's going back to her! How can I simply—?"

Theresa felt a rush of affection for her little sister and she broke in with a firm voice. "Daphne, it will hardly help me if you fall back into her power as well. I'm glad that you'll be somewhere safe."

Still, Theresa wished that Daphne had kept her concerns inside. She had been doing her best not to think about all the problems ahead for this one day.

The queen interjected, "If Theresa does go back it will hardly be as it was before. We will be watching for anything odd. If Theresa has any new wicked spells cast upon her, we will know and we will investigate. You two are no longer alone. Francine will have to operate far more carefully than she has in the past."

"It's hardly the same as it was," Theresa agreed, although unfortunately different was not the same as better. She was not sure that anything that the queen and king could do would be equal to Francine's wickedness.

At least the queen believed her allegations, but it was a cold comfort. Francine was already attempting to control Theresa's life again and she was not using magic alone to do it this time.

The music started. "That's my cue." She glanced at Daphne. "At least your veil will hide your eyes on the way up. Don't cry any more, please," the queen suggested in a voice that sounded suspiciously like an order.

She breezed from the room. Theresa heard the appreciative mutters run through the crowd as the royal witness walked down the aisle.

At the proper time, Theresa followed her. She could see Wildwood in formal clothing beside Thomas and for one second she imagined how nice it would be if it were she getting married to him and being taken away from all her troubles.

Of course, even if he did want to marry her and that was by no means certain, Francine would never allow her to live happily.

Francine would likely kill him before she let that happen. It was a horribly sobering thought. Going back with Francine was the best, safest thing for everyone. She did not look at him again while she walked.

Theresa reached the end and took her place carefully. She felt stiff, as if she were frozen.

She watched as her sister walked down with Jim and heard the appreciative sighs from the people in the audience. Poor Jim looked like he would have preferred to have caught a deadly plague than to have been pressured into participating in such a ceremony.