"I might just take you up on that," she said, remembering the next day and how the king's judgment would decide her future. She was not going to spend her life under Francine's control.

Though he had said it in jest, life as Wildwood's familiar would be infinitely preferable to that.

Theresa spent the remainder of the ride back the royal castle pretending not to be worried. When they arrived, Wildwood walked her to her room. Once there she rang the maid who helped her into her nightgown again.

Theresa lay down on her side in bed. It took a long time for her to go to sleep.

The morning dawned cheerfully bright, but Theresa could feel dark clouds of gloom hanging above her.

She allowed her maid to dress her methodically and she made her way down to the breakfast room, at her maid's directions.

She was already eating when Daphne arrived, escorted by Thomas.

"Good morning," said both Daphne and Thomas.

"Good morning," repeated Theresa, feeling nothing of the sort.

Daphne sat down next to her sister with Thomas on the other side. A serving girl brought each of them food.

"I'm really nervous," confessed Daphne.

Theresa was too, but she did not want to make Daphne more worried. "The king seems to be a fair man in spite of all we have heard," Theresa pointed out.

Daphne nodded, but her face still carried anxiety. "I do not doubt his fairness but I worry about Aunt Francine's ability to..."

"Lie convincingly?"

"Yes. I almost believed her myself, Theresa. I know what happened, but she's so convincing!" Daphne cried.

Theresa sighed. There really was no hope for them. She would be in Francine's power forever and Daphne would never see Sir Thomas again.

Theresa lied through her teeth. "She still speaks in lies and the truth will win out."

"That's true," agreed Thomas.

"You should listen to him," Theresa agreed.

If Daphne was voicing her fears to him instead, Theresa would not have to think of more ways to reassure her sister. If he really loved Daphne, it could be his burden to bear. Theresa had enough to carry on her own.

"Really?" Daphne asked, looking at Theresa as if she had grown two heads.

Theresa nodded. It was time to stop being resentful. "He seems to be consistent. I suppose you should marry him if you can find a way to do so."

Theresa noticed Thomas' expression of shock matched Daphne's. Apparently he had noticed her dislike of him. She supposed it had been rather obvious. In any other circumstances she might have found it amusing.

Daphne stared at Theresa. "You really are not going to oppose us?"

Theresa sighed. She still wanted to, but... "We don't know what will happen today. We may end up in Francine's clutches, so if that happens and if you can escape with Sir Thomas, do it."

"What about you?" Daphne asked.

"She can't hold me," she lied. "I came out of her magic before, I can do it again."

"I don't know," Daphne said.

"I do. Just do as I say."

They finished eating in silence. When everyone was done, Theresa asked, "May I speak with you alone, Sir Thomas?"