It seemed so odd to Theresa that she began to wonder if Thomas had cast some sort of spell on Daphne to silence her. Theresa would not put it past Daphne to ask him to do so to prove her point.

It seemed unthinkable for Daphne to hold a grudge for so long. Of course, Theresa herself was not particularly pleased with her sister and she fully intended to win their battle of wills, but it was a bit unnerving.

Surely, Daphne would come crawling back begging for forgiveness soon enough. It had always happened in the past.

Theresa was jerked out of her resentful thoughts by Wildwood's voice. "We'll be arriving within the hour."

"Excellent," Theresa agreed even as dread filled her. She was not sure what was worse, facing her aunt or facing a king saturated in Francine's lies.

"Lord Wildwood," Jim said from his perch atop the carriage, "A small group approaches. There seem to be no wizards, but I sense magic clinging around them."

"Be prepared," Wildwood ordered and all the wizards and guards in the party observed the oncoming group with rapt attention.

For her part, Theresa tried to sit like a bored, impatient boy would atop her mount. She tried not to look nervous, but she worried that she failed miserably.

"Greetings, strangers," Wildwood called as they came into sight. Theresa forced herself to stop fidgeting with the reins in her hands. She reminded herself she was well disguised and Wildwood would take care of it.

"Greetings, my lord," said a gruff voiced man from out of the group. Something about him felt off. She tried to look at him without appearing too interested in what was happening.

"How can I help you?" Wildwood asked; a warning in his tone.

The man ignored caution. "What is your business on this road?" Theresa could see his face more clearly. It did not look familiar.

He was not old and had nondescript features, except for several scars running across his face and disappearing under an eye patch. She felt quite sure that she had never seen him before because she certainly would have remembered. But still he made her feel terribly wary.

"While I do not believe it is any business of yours, I am escorting my great aunt to the capital. Now kindly remove yourselves and allow us to pass," Wildwood said.

It was not a suggestion, so Theresa was surprised when the man did not immediately move.

The man who had stopped them looked carefully around their party. "We are searching for two missing ladies. We will be checking your vehicles, my lord."

The fact anyone was searching vehicles for her on the road to the capital seemed ominous. She could feel her heart pounding her worry.

Hopefully Daphne kept her head if he checked in the carriage. They were well disguised as long as they did nothing suspicious.

"And shall I assume that you have the king's permission to be stopping and searching vehicles on his road?" Wildwood asked casually. He looked straight at the scarred man who swallowed visibly.

"Why, of course, my lord," he agreed.

Wildwood shrugged nonchalantly. "You have nothing of the sort. Are you thieves and highwaymen that you assault innocent travelers? The king takes a very dim view of that sort of behavior."

It was an understatement. The penalty for preying on travelers was quite often death or a long stay in the prisons, which was essentially the same sentence.

Even sheltered as she had been Theresa had heard horror stories of that place and she privately wondered if the execution was not preferable to life inside.