Theresa put her hand up to her face. So she was. More proof that she was not still a cat.

Daphne was watching her closely, apparently awaiting a response.

"A nightmare," Theresa explained so that Daphne would stop worrying. "Just a nightmare."

"Just a nightmare? That could not have been just a nightmare. You're really upset," Daphne said stubbornly. "You never used to have nightmares like this."

It was probably because her mind had been suppressed so long, Theresa thought. "Probably all the fear. I don't know."

"I guess so. What was it about?"

"I don't remember," Theresa said only half truthfully. Although she could no longer remember the images and the ideas were becoming increasingly fuzzy; the horrified fear still throbbed in her veins.

"Lady Daphne!? Are you quite alright?" Thomas asked through the door.

"Thank you, we're fine. Theresa had a nightmare," Daphne called back to him. She turned back to Theresa. "We might as well stay up. It's morning."

Theresa did not bother to inform Daphne that there was no way that she could go back to sleep the way that she was feeling, even if it had been the middle of the night.

She was relieved when it was time to ride again.

* * * * *

The morning passed by slowly with Theresa seeped in a black gloom.

She tried to think positive, but her mind continued to flick between the vague residual feelings of her nightmare and all her all too real worries. They escalated each other and there was little enough to do on the back of a horse but think. She wished for a distraction.

When they stopped for lunch, Theresa had no appetite. She saw Wildwood glance at her, so she forced herself to eat more than she wished to. She was glad when the meal was over and they could continue.

They reached their next destination earlier in the evening than they had the previous night. Wildwood explained they could press on and make it closer to the capital but it was wiser to remain and prepare. Theresa hoped that a more relaxing night would calm her nerves.

Daphne was, of course, off with Thomas somewhere. Jim went to lie down and Theresa had no idea where anyone else was. She tried to go to sleep early but she could not relax. Thus she was still awake when Daphne returned.

She turned over and sat up when she heard the door click. Daphne seemed to be attempting to be quiet, but her steps were incredibly bouncy. It did not appear that she was trying at all to walk like an old woman, Theresa noted disapprovingly.

"Aren't you supposed to be walking like an old woman?" Theresa asked crossly.

Daphne paused midstride. "No one saw me. I didn't think that you would still be awake."

Theresa wondered what the two had to do with each other.

"Well, no matter. Since you're awake, Theresa, I have something to tell you," Daphne said. Her voice sounded suddenly odd, as if she was nervous.

"What?" Theresa asked slowly, watching her sister's face and trying to figure out what was wrong. Had there been news of Francine or was it some other complication?

Daphne spoke timidly. "I'm going to marry Sir Thomas."

"What!?" Theresa asked; her ability to comprehend simple language apparently swept away by what Daphne had said. It was unbelievable that she would be thinking about something like this at this time. Theresa thought it was something serious, not something ridiculous.