"Yes, really," Theresa said, still feeling rather bemused. This was not how she though the confrontation would go in the slightest.

"I thought that you would disapprove because you were always such a frightfully perfect lady and—"

Theresa laughed at that. "You think I'm a perfect lady?"

"Well, perhaps more so before we escaped and you were transformed into a cat," Daphne allowed.

Theresa laughed again. "I don't know how much of that was me and how much was Francine."

Daphne nodded, "I don't either."

Theresa shrugged. "Well, I'm going to continue riding. Thomas, does this trail loop back to the castle?"

"It does," he told her cautiously.

"Thank you. I'll leave you to your practice," Theresa said, still feeling that the situation was too surreal.

She had not known what to expect, but this was the last thing she would have guessed of Daphne.

Perhaps they both had things to learn about each other now that they were free from the shadows of Francine's control and their true personalities were coming to light.

"Frightfully perfect lady indeed," Theresa repeated incredulously as she rode away, and then laughed.

* * * * *

Thomas and Daphne did not return until after supper had been served. Rather than sit in the small dining room alone, Theresa ate in the kitchen again.

When she was finished, she played another game of chess in the kitchen with Matt. She was pleased to note had remembered the rules well and seemed less reluctant to participate, although still far from happy.

Once they were finished, she carried the chess set into the small dining room where Daphne and Thomas were finally eating their late supper.

"Theresa!" Daphne said cheerfully when she walked in the door.

"How was archery?" she asked.

"It was great fun," Daphne said enthusiastically. She was clearly still pleased that Theresa was not disapproving of her activity.

Theresa did not understand why her sister was so surprised. Why would she disapprove of anything that might help them with the Francine problem, or even just defense in general?

"Lady Daphne is becoming quite proficient," Thomas added with a smile that was a shade too familiar.

Theresa smiled anyway. "I am pleased to hear that. After you are finished would you like to play a game of chess? Daphne? Thomas?" She tried to hide the gloating smile that was already beginning to surface.

"Sir Thomas," Daphne corrected with a mildly reproachful glance at Theresa.

"Sir Thomas," Theresa repeated obediently. It would be worth calling him that to get a chance to thump him good.

And in actuality Daphne was correct. Calling him Thomas without his title was disrespectful. She could call him what she liked in her mind but she would need to take care about what came out through her mouth.

One small advantage of being a cat was she had not needed to watch her mouth since verbal inability watched it for her.

"I would be pleased to," Thomas said, although he looked anything but.

Theresa smiled the wide grin of the cat who ate the canary. "I'll meet you in the games room, then."

"We will be there in but a few minutes," said Thomas carefully. His usual smug smile had been replaced by the expression of a man being led to the gallows.