Inherent Magic

Inherent Magic is typically the type of magic that is used by wizards. Magic that is cast in this way are called spells, regardless of the intent upon casting.

Inherent magic that can be cast depends very much upon the experiences, learning and capacity of the spell caster and each spell caster might have a different level of natural capability.

Some studies into inherent magic have shown that an inherent magic user can increase their maximum capability simply by usage and practice.

While inherent magic users do not have as poor reputations as those who cast externally, there remains much discomfort in certain circles about the practice of any magic.

The chief trait of the internal magic user is their magic stems from within themselves and as such external materials are not required or even desirable.

Inherent magic spells must be constantly maintained by the magic of the spell caster, but can be sustained indefinitely depending upon the available magic and the range of the spell caster to subject.

Effects that last beyond the removal of the spell are uncommon, but can occur occasionally. Such effects are most commonly temporary, but long spell duration can increase the likelihood of effects becoming permanent.

Theresa supposed these words explained her new mild dislike of water. She hoped the duration would not be permanent. She tried not to think about what years of living under Francine's oppressive magic might have done to her and Daphne's minds.

Theresa continued reading, hoping for fleeting reassurance. Theresa continued until her attention was jarred by Wildwood rising from his desk. Theresa started in surprise.

"I'm afraid I have matters which I must attend to now, Lady Theresa."

Theresa stood up.

"You can remain in my study if you wish," Wildwood offered.

"Thank you, but I think perhaps I will visit my sister now, Lord Wildwood."

"Very well then," he agreed as he closed the book that he had been reading and replaced it on the shelf. Theresa closed hers and did the same. He watched her. "Do you find that interesting?"

"Yes," she agreed, although her interest might have been somewhat morbid considering the effects of magic was very personal to her. "I do."

"I'm glad. You seem to feel comfortable here," he commented.

She was not certain if he meant here in his study or here at Wildwood. Either way, she did, but at the same time she also felt extremely awkward.

Perhaps her comfort was a residual effect from her time as a cat or perhaps she simply felt that it was wise to still stay around the wizard.

To observe him, of course, so that she could figure out if he should be trusted. It was all very logical.

"And you're not afraid of me, rather, not afraid of wizards?" he asked casually.

Theresa was surprised by his question and tried to keep her reaction from showing.

She knew that Daphne was both impressed and intimidated by Lord Wildwood and Theresa could see why.

His question made her realize that she actually was not afraid of him. He made her feel awkward and ill at ease now that she was human again, but actual fear was oddly absent.

Why not? He was clearly a strong wizard and could probably transform her into a bug and squash her, or kill her a dozen other ways with his magic if he so desired.

He was still taller than her in spite of her increased stature and he had quite a lot of muscle for someone who spent so much time reading.

He probably would not even need to transform her to crush her like a bug. A life of pampered enslavement scarcely prepared one for physical altercations.

Not to mention he already knew too much. She probably should be afraid of him, but for some reason she could not summon the feeling.

And then she realized it had been a long time since he asked her a question and she had not answered. She felt embarrassment rush through her all over again at the gaping silence.

Was she afraid of Wildwood?

"No, I'm not," she said.

If there was anything that she needed to be afraid of it was how well she had seen him lie. Surely such a skilled liar could easily put her at ease with one hand while betraying her with the other.

She was not afraid of him, but she would certainly be foolish to put her trust in him no matter how much she might be starting to want to.

She tried to make herself look unmoved and probably failed.

"I'm still not used to talking again," Theresa explained defensively.

"It must be odd, but I am sure you will get used to it," he assured her as he walked to the door. He opened it and held it for her. "It might just take some time."

"I'm certain you are correct," she agreed primly, hoping her lingering embarrassment was well hidden.

He offered her an encouraging smile. "When I return, there are some magical matters which I must to speak to you of."

Theresa nodded her understanding.

"After you, my lady."

"Thank you," Theresa said politely and she walked ahead of him down the stairs. She tried not to think about how foolish she had probably appeared.

There was no good reasonable reason to feel so out of sorts while dealing with her temporary benefactor. No reason to feel uncomfortable at all.

She needed a distraction. She would play chess with Daphne.

Or better yet, Thomas. It would be a rare treat to slaughter that obnoxious grin right off his flea bitten face.