46: She's Gone

Start bij het begin

Tears spring to my eyes. It's a parents' worst nightmare. "My son...is he..."

I hear Stef gasp. She squeezes my hand. I'm frozen, unable to think, unable to move as I wait for the doctor's response.

"Your little one is perfectly fine. A real gem of a child." The doctor comments with a hint of sadness in her tone.

"And Trish?" I ask, unsure of whether I'm ready for this blow.

"Mr. Nichols, please. Just come to the hospital. I can't discuss Miss Willis's condition over the phone." She insists.

"Condition? What the fuck happened?"

"Your ex and Reilly were in a car accident. That is all I can say at this time. We need to release Reilly to his next of kin. Otherwise, we contact family services for temporary custodial care." The doctor explains the protocol.

"No no no." I can't let that happen. "I'll be there. I'm on my way now. Which hospital?"

She gives me the information. I numbly nod. I can't believe this is happening. My mind is racing, my stomach churns, I get this odd tunnel vision.

"Mick! Get the fuck out of the driver's seat. I'm driving." Stef's voice breaks through my fog.

"Yes." I almost collapse as I step foot outside of the vehicle. "I'm gonna puke."

I lean against the hood of the car with my arms extended. I dry heave a few times, but the bile at the back of my throat doesn't come up. I feel Stef's hands, rubbing my back. "Let's get to the hospital. They'll have more answers. I'm going to be right there with you."

I manage to stand and look at her through watery eyes. "Thank you, Stef."

We get in the car, her behind the wheel, and head for the hospital. I can't calm my spinning brain as I consider the possibilities.

"Mick, we're here. Do you want me..."

"Please come with me." I say in a small voice. She nods and takes my hand as we walk into the emergency room. We're shown to a waiting room. A few minutes later a petite doctor walks through the double doors. I stand and I feel Stef rise behind me. "Doctor, can I see Trish? Where's Reilly?"

"Mr. Nichols thank you for coming. Trish's mother is on the way too." She indicates.

"Please I can't wait. How bad is it?" I ask desperately.

"Trish suffered major head trauma among other things. She is in a persistent vegetative state." The doctor explains.

"Oh God! Okay, um, will she ever wake up?" Tears are steaming down my face. I did love Trish even though I cheated. I did love her even though she made my life hell, keeping me from my son. I feel Stef touch my arm gently.

The doctor's face is grim. "I'm sorry, Mr. Nichols. We are just waiting for the rest of her family to come say goodbye."

I crumble. Stef wraps her arms around me as I collapse in a heap, sobbing.

"I know this is a very difficult time, Mr. Nichols. Please take the time you need and then we can bring you Reilly." The doctor says.

I snap. "No, I need to see my son now."

"Mick, give yourself a minute. Reilly is in good hands, I'm sure." Stef tries to convince me to take a moment to collect myself.

"No, I need Reilly. I need to take him home before Trish's mother arrives. She'll cause a scene. I know it." I insist.

The doctor says gently. "I thought you would want to see Trish before you go."

"I can't." I barely recognize the strangled voice that comes out as mine.