Chapter 15: Broken Promises

Start from the beginning

"Sure. E-excuse me. I'm going to wash my face," Kyra whispered softly before squeezing her way out between Lisa and Kylie who were blocking the doorway.

"Nick?" Lisa, Kyle and Layton all said at the same time asking for an explanation.

"Cool down, fellas. I can and I will explain. Trust me when I say she is doing great now compared to the state she was in a few days ago," Nick said as he helped Monica pour everyone some refreshments.

I wasn't interested in all that. I needed to speak to Kyra. I needed to hold her and know that she was there. I was going crazy. She wasn't okay and I needed to talk to her so I left the kitchen to go upstairs.

Kylie looked at me questioning where I was going but I just ignored her and left anyway. Talking to her meant I'd have to stay. I couldn't choose Kyra over her right in her face.

I scurried to Kyra's bedroom and found her door opened. She sat on the bed rubbing her eyes which had slightly turned red. I stood by the door with my arms crossed.

"I'm gone for a week and your life becomes miserable. Don't you think the stars are sending us a message?" I said sliding my hands into my pockets.

"That you are always starring in my nightmares? Hell yeah," she replied looking at me and she looked away as soon as she saw my gaze on her.

"I had missed you. I'm worried about you," I told her genuinely but she forced a laugh as she continued fidgeting.

"Your sarcasm sure is not helping here," she said.

"This is the part where you say I had missed you too," I pitched in and she looked at me with tears in her eyes.

This time it wasn't about the onions. She wanted to cry. Kyra stood up suddenly and hurtled towards me, pulled me inside then softly closed the door. She then stared at me her chest heaving. What was she doing?

Out of the blue, Kyra closed the small gap between us and embraced me in a warm and tight hug. Our first hug. She held me tightly and I could already feel her tears soak through my shirt.

"You don't have to hug me back. It's okay. I was happy you were away and at the same time I missed you so bad. I missed your crazy mood swings, I missed all of you and the package that comes with you," she wept as she held onto me tighter.

I didn't want her to be like this. I could feel her raw fear and stress seep into my veins. A will power was vaulted into my anatomy and I found myself hugging her back gently and lovingly.

It felt so right yet so wrong. I felt like I was in a different place where the entire world stopped and just left the two of us living.

I ran my trembling fingers through her thick hair and held her even closer. She needed it and I was willing to offer all the warmth I could possibly sum up.

Kyra suddenly pulled away from me as if something clicked in her mind. She moved away from me and went on to stand against a wall across the room.

"I'm so sorry. This is so wrong. I shouldn't have hugged you like that. Please leave. I don't want to do anything I'll end up regretting," she murmured as she clutched the sides of her head and closed her eyes.

I moved towards her, every step warning me that I was starting a game I didn't know how to survive. It was as if some alien force had begun controlling all my actions.

It took me one long stride to close the gap between Kyra and I and I cupped her warm cheeks then looked straight into my favourite ocean.

"I shouldn't have left you, Kyra. It's all my fault. You fell ill and I wasn't even here. Someone else was," I breathed and she placed her hands on top of mine. They were warm and they fit perfectly well on top of mine.