Chapter 32: Saving Grace

Jayden's POV

Late in the afternoon that same Friday, I sat on the couch in the main lounge, my head hanging low. I was helpless.

I tried all my connections and everything, but there was still no lead or even a clue. Trevor hadn't been seen ever since and he didn't have any family to ask his whereabouts.

One thing that added to my worry was his background. He had a criminal record of transporting illegal drugs and domestic violence in his past relationships. He had also been charged with rape on two different encounters.

I tried asking around the people who knew him but it seemed he trusted no one to the extent of sharing such issues. Some of his friends suggested that if ever he had any plans of bringing her back then he'd have already done so.

If it was money he wanted then he was supposed to have already made contact but there was nothing at all. Not even a threat or anything.

Searches were carried out around the entire neighborhood and possible hideouts. They were all fruitless.

The last call I received was of a dead body being found in a lake. It shook me. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't handle it. I could still feel the shock and effect in my body. My heart ached.

At least Dad had called to inform me that it wasn't her. Nick had called too to convince me. Despite all that, I wasn't at peace.

This was the news we would get anytime soon that they found her, but dead. I dreaded the possible truth. I didn't even know how I was supposed to receive such news and accept it.

My tears involuntarily fell. Was it a test or anything of that sort? Was I meant to lose her before even finding the true Kyra and creating my own space in her heart?

"Jayden, are you okay?" I heard Martha ask.

"I'm fine. I'm just feeling a little under the weather," I replied, wiping away my tears before sitting up. I saw my reflection in the mirror I was facing.

My eyes were red and puffy. They held a lot of meaning and reflection of what was going on within me.

"She'll come back," she promised, sitting next to me. She held my hand and I rested my head on her shoulder. She was a motherly figure to me.

"Dead or alive?" I asked, closing my eyes and holding on tighter.

"Alive of course."

"You sound unsure yourself. I'm scared, Martha. I'm not ready for it. I buried my mom. I can't bury my wife as well. She's so young," I sobbed, my heart clenching.

"I'm sorry this is happening to you. You'll be fine. You'll get through it."

"I'm not feeling well. My heart aches."

"Is it the pain?"

"I'm not sure anymore. I'm stressed out so it should be."

Martha started running her fingers in my hair. She then started massaging my head.

"She's beautiful. She's down to earth and someone who is very bright. I enjoyed her company when she was around. She likes cooking. She's also into fashion like her mom."

"Really?" I asked Martha.

"Yes. When she comes back, you could get to know her better. She has a lot of passions and talents. She's creative."

"She's an amazing woman, isn't she?"

"Of course she is," Martha replied confidently. I sat up and faced her.