Chapter 26: The Innocent Victims

Jayden's POV

"Are you pregnant?" I asked Kylie.

I forced myself to close off any thoughts, possibilities or fears. I wanted to hear the truth from her, not assume it.

"Are you pregnant, Kylie?" I asked again after a long pause.

Kylie looked straight into my eyes and blinked away her tears. She looked as if she was about to deliver an atom bomb.

"I'm not sure, Jayden. I think so, but I'm not sure," she confided in me.

I looked around and realised that everyone was seated and Mr Garcia, the host, was upfront addressing the guests. At least no one's attention was on us.

I placed my hand on top of Kylie's and squeezed it gently.

"Kylie, what makes you think so?" I asked her.

"My period is two weeks late. I've been feeling sick lately and I don't know what to think," she told me in a low voice.

"Kylie, maybe you've just been stressed out or maybe you've changed your diet. I don't really know, but maybe it affected your normal cycle," I tried to reason with her.

"That's what Nick said too, but we might never know."

"You told Nick?"

"I asked as a general question. You were busy by that time," she explained.

"But we've been using protection the whole time, Kylie. You can't be pregnant."

"Do you remember that day we came from Paris?" she asked.

"In the library?"

"Yes. I lied. I'm sorry. I forgot to take it after we had sex but I promise I really planned on it. I just got distracted," she explained. I didn't know what to say, but I felt bad because she looked disturbed. We were both responsible so I had to take responsibility.

"Did you get a test done?"

"No. I'm scared."

"Why, Kylie? You don't want a baby?"

"I want babies, Jay, but not now. I'm not ready to be a mom yet. I'm still preparing to be a wife. A baby is just too much for me. You are also married, Jay. We are not even engaged. What if you don't want us? I can't do it on my own," she cried, tears streaming down her cheeks. She tried her best to make sure no one else saw as she wore her hair down.

"Is that what you think of me, Kylie? Would I really abandon you and my baby?"

"Jay, I'm confused right now. I'm going through worse than you can even imagine."

"I'd never abandon you and our baby, Kylie. If you really are pregnant, I won't leave you alone," I assured her.

"Really? Will you support me through it all?" she asked, looking up at me. I hated seeing her cry.

"Yes, really. Now don't cry, okay? I'm right here," I said and she nodded. I took a handkerchief from my pocket and offered it to her. She took it and wiped away her tears. She looked much better.

"Do you want anything?" I asked her.

"No. I'm good."

"Should I call Lisa?" I tried again. Maybe she needed a female to talk to.

"No. She's having her own problems right now. I'm good with you."

For real Lisa wasn't doing well. Whatever she was going through must have been hard for her. She was the bold type of a woman who didn't let anything easily get to her. This time it was different. It seemed to have rubbed onto Kyle as well.