Chapter 81: Ugly Confrontation

Kyra's POV

If there was anything I ever got to learn from Kevin and understood perfectly well, then it was that violence was in his nature. Grabbing me roughly and pushing me around seemed to be something he enjoyed with his gun as his biggest advantage against me, otherwise I'd have tried fighting back.

He pulled me up from the ground by my hair which was ponytailed and pushed me over to the other side of the desk, shoving me into the leather swivel chair. I winced in pain as my butt made contact with the chair with such great impact.

I held onto the armrests and looked up at Kevin who leaned his back against the desk with the sleeves of his black hoodie rolled up and the gun in his hand, aiming it directly at me. My heart somersaulted. The thought of dying from a gunshot wound was always terrifying to me. It made me tremble at the thought of being shot.

"Why do you have to make me so furious, Kyra? Why do I have to change all the fucking plans simply because you want to act smart and be the heroine of the story? This was supposed to have ended in one day, but look how long it has taken us," he grumbled, his sharp jaw clenched.

I swallowed hard and looked at the gun that he slowly drew nearer to me. "Put the gun down, Kevin. Using my fear against me is very cowardly of you. If you're here to kill me, just get it over and done with, but if you're here to threaten me, put the gun away."

Kevin scrutinised my face with his cold gaze and he chuckled, searching for my eyes. I hated the way he looked me as if he wanted to eat me. He pressed the gun to my forehead and I closed my eyes, fearing he was going to shoot me dead without even thinking twice.

"We don't want to attract those bodyguards of yours standing outside, so I advise you behave. You won't stand up, you won't raise your voice and you won't try anything stupid. I don't have to explain the consequences. Do you understand what I'm saying?" he said, his tone dead serious. I nodded in agreement. I was willing to do anything for him to put the gun away.

I had worked completely well with my bodyguards from the moment I hired them. Unless Kevin had entered the building before my arrival, they should have found out about it and warned me. Now I was on my own until they showed up. I had to be very careful.

Kevin trailed the gun up and down my face furiously before withdrawing it from my face and sliding it across the desk to the opposite end. I looked at the weapon, sighing internally in relief. It was too far away for me to reach it so I had to cool down and dance to his tunes for the time being.

Kevin gripped me roughly by my chin all of a sudden and drew his face close to mine. "You know, I expected you to find me on that day of the accident with tears flooding down your cheeks, showing me some bravery and determination to end my life after what happened to your all mighty and powerful husband. But, you didn't show up. Heck, it's been two fucking weeks already and you're acting as if everything is absolutely normal," he spat venomously at me.

"Nothing is normal and you know it," I replied, holding his wrist as I tried to remove it from my chin.

"You're such a selfish and narcissistic bitch. You're supposed to be mourning your husband, but you're busy taking over his position. That's what you've secretly always wanted, huh? To have all the power and fame to yourself."

His words infuriated me. He had no right to insinuate bullshit and make me seem like the bad guy. "I am not a bitch and unlike you, I'm not selfish, greedy and hungry for power or any absurd bullshit. I love my husband and we're a team. I'm not mourning him because he's not dead. I'm not going to let you influence me with your poisonous words," I shot back at him, confidence crawling into my voice.