❥ Chapter 9

|||||

The Child In Her

|||||

Juhi walked through the familiar corridor in search of her best friend who had gone missing after the silly argument. It was evening already, classes were done for the day, yet there were no traces of Sonakshi. After dialling Sonakshi's number several times & still not getting any response, Juhi gave up on it. Almost everyone had left for their homes except Aiira & Juhi who roamed from class to class in search of Sonakshi.

"What if she has gone home Juhi? Knowing how sensitive she is, you shouldn't have pissed her off. I have always warned you to control your big mouth in her presence. See what you have done now" Aiira scolded Juhi making her regretful. Juhi thought Sonakshi would take her rants lightly. Her friend wasn't someone who took humour into heart. Atleast with her, Sonakshi was open to jokes.

"But her car is still there in the parking lot. She has left few of her stuffs in the classroom. Also she wouldn't go without letting us know"

"Whatever Juhi. It's getting late. I'm leaving. You can stay here all you want & continue searching for her. After all you're the one at fault!"

"I shouldn't have called you at the first place. Just leave" Juhi spoke disappointed & annoyed at the same time.

Aiira's taunts were nothing new to her. She was habituated to Aiira's bad friend accusations irrespective of Sonakshi's presence or absence. At the beginning, she used to feel really bad about it but then she had learned to not pay any heed to them. When Sonakshi was aware of her intentions, there was absolutely no need to prove the same to a third person, even if the third person was her own best friend.

"What do you mean by that? Sona is my friend as well" Aiira raised her voice offended with Juhi's indirect outburst.

"I can very well see that Aiira" Juhi remarked walking back to their class. Collecting Sonakshi's books that were scattered on the table, she neatly stuffed them inside her bag. Grabbing both their stuffs, she moved out of the place with a very furious Aiira tagging behind her.

"Let me look for her one last time. Meanwhile, you can leave" Juhi didn't wait for Aiira's response as she proceeded towards the library still dialling Sonakshi's number.

"Common Sonakshi. Pick up the call already" Juhi murmured all worked up as she exited the place still not able to spot her best friend. She bit her lips & sighed defeatedly. Sonakshi was nowhere to be seen. She didn't have the heart to leave for home without finding Sonakshi's whereabouts. Her inner conscience didn't favour doing that. She helplessly slumped on the nearest bench.

That was when she heard muffled sobs coming from a class nearby. A very unpleasant feeling surged through her body making her extremely tensed. Juhi didn't think twice before getting up & running towards the source of the voice. The sight she saw before her painfully stabbed her heart as she felt her own eyes getting teared up.

Sonakshi was balled up in a corner while she cried her heart out. Gut wrenching sobs escaped her lips as she tried to suppress the sound of her hiccups. She had wiped her eyes several times that they were red & swollen. Her shoulders shook & lips quivered as she mumbled incoherent words in her own painful language.

Juhi dropped her stuffs & immediately rushed towards Sonakshi. Taking her best friend in her arms, she patted her back affectionately in an attempt to calm her down. Her heart squeezed in pain when Sonakshi clung to her like a kid deprived of love, which she really was.