Chapter 47: Lazarus Zekla

When I called the pack medical center yesterday, I was fully expecting the phone to go to voicemail, but apparently it functioned as the packs 24 hour emergency hospital as well, so there was a secretary who answered the phone. At first he wasn't too happy for the non-emergent midnight call, but his attitude quickly changed when I told him who I was. He was more than happy to set up a last minute meeting with Dr.Zekla for me tomorrow morning.

I wasn't really a fan of playing the 'do you know who my father is?' card, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't appreciate how useful it was sometimes.

I was currently standing in front of the secretary's desk. The person sitting in the chair was a woman, so I assumed the man from last night worked the night shift and she came in for the day shift.

" Do you have an appointment ?" She asked, without looking away from her computer screen.

" Yeah, I have a 9 o'clock -"

Her sudden rapid typing on the keyboard interrupted me.

" You have a 9 o'clock appointment with Dr.Zekla." She said as she tapped a few more keys," Go back to examination room 3, he'll be in with you in a moment."

" Oh, uh, I think you're misunderstanding something. I'm not here for a check up, I just want to talk with -"

" Well it says in the system that you're here for a check up." She interrupted me.

Man does she refuse to let people finish their sentences ? I growled in annoyance.

" Great, I guess I'll just go in and wait for him in examination room 3." I balled my fists in frustration at my sides and stiffly walked into the room she assigned me.

I stared at the examination table for a moment before turning to the chair next to it and taking a seat. It'd barely been a few seconds of peaceful silence before the door to the room was thrown open, and a man with white hair and a white lab coat to match burst into the room.

" Gods these incompetent workers have me doing a check-up for -" The man stopped talking when he turned to see Olivier sitting in the chair next to the examination table.

I offered him a slight wave and a raised brow," No, don't stop on my behalf. Go on and continue what you were saying."

The man narrowed his eyes at me and pulled his phone out of his pocket. He tapped on it a few times before shoving it back into his pocket and looking back up at me," I just don't do check ups usually. I have other things I need to be doing."

I smiled," Well, I didn't come here for a check up."

The man cocked his head to the side," Really ?"

" I came here to talk to you about your research on rogues, Dr.Zekla." I nodded.

" I prefer if people call me Lazarus."

" Okay, er," I trailed off," Your name's kind of long, is there any way I can shorten it so it isn't as awkward, don't you have a nickname or something ?"

Lazarus crossed his arms over his chest," No. Now, why would you want to talk about my research that your brother put an end to ?"

" Because I'm pretty sure I talked to a rogue, which my brother said was impossible." I replied.

Lazarus's mouth hung open for a moment.

" What ? Did I say something wrong ?"

Lazarus cleared his throat and shook his head," No, not at all. You just reminded me of something I discovered right before your brother shut the research down." He leaned back on the wall and rubbed his chin," It isn't an impossibility that someone afflicted with the disorder would be able to speak, I suppose it's just easier to assume that they can't when you have to fight them to the death."